Can anyone help ID this?

Janello

I left the receipt at home but I think you're about right with the cocobolo...maybe a little more.. That board is a little over 7bf.

The ebony was $110. bf and I think it comes in at 3.5 board foot if I can remember right.

I would have bought a smaller pc of ebony, but they will not cut it. That was actually the smallest one they had.

1 hour ago, Janello said:
Collin, just curious. Do you talk about wood a lot on the photography forums? 

At times & when connected. Weathered wood, for instance, requires opening up about 2 stops. And Zone system discussions once in a while.

Photography group discussions about camera construction usually involves some kits like the Bender.  They're functional but certainly not anything special.

Also, I think the skills (the craft, any craft) is best is best defined by its teleology -- it's "fruit" if you like.  I look around the project showcase on occasion and watch the folks on the local PBS station to get ideas.  Being an old film photographer I also think in those terms.  Hard not to.  And as a theologian/philosopher I also frame it more broadly, hence my choice of language.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, collinb said:

At times & when connected. Weathered wood, for instance, requires opening up about 2 stops. And Zone system discussions once in a while.

Photography group discussions about camera construction usually involves some kits like the Bender.  They're functional but certainly not anything special.

Also, I think the skills (the craft, any craft) is best is best defined by its teleology -- it's "fruit" if you like.  I look around the project showcase on occasion and watch the folks on the local PBS station to get ideas.  Being an old film photographer I also think in those terms.  Hard not to.  And as a theologian/philosopher I also frame it more broadly, hence my choice of language.

That's what I thought.

• Like 1

That ebony would make a really nice camera.  Or 2.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/cameras/ebony-45s.html

I have one of those cameras, an Eastman Kodak from the early 1900's I believe. The leather is in poor condition and the viewfinder is missing. I don't know if it's worth repairing though.

That depends on several things. Can you post or send me a pic of it?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk