What to look for in a resaw blade?

Rex Edgar

I have a Rikon 18" bandsaw and I have accumulated a variety of blades. Experimenting has gotten me better at curves, cut with a very narrow blade 1/4"-3/8". I'm looking to resaw some rough cut lumber into uniform planks (resaw). What do I look for as far as tpi? Is 3/4" blade ok or is wider recommended? How about brands, some better than others

58 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

What's the maximum blade width? What is the length? I have a MiniMax MM20 with a Lenox Woodmaster 1.3 CT which is 1.3 teeth per inch, 1" wide blade, carbide tooth. I like it, cuts fast and cuts clean.

Blade range is 1/4"-1 1/4" and 142" length.

Generally a 1/2"-3/4", 3-4tpi blade will do just fine for most resawing. If you want the best, look at carbide. Laguna resaw king or the lenox. I have a 1" resaw king, its fantastic but not everyone wants to drop 300$ on a bandsaw blade...

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I use the same blade that the other Tom mentioned.  I'm convinced it's the best resaw blade going for saws that will tension it.  1" is the smallest width it comes in.

I've used a Resaw King and a Trimaster on a 14" saw in 1/2".  Neither make any smoother surface on the cut that the Woodmaster, and the Woodmaster is WAY faster. 

Talk to other people who use the 18" Rikon.  I expect it's borderline for tensioning the 1" Woodmaster.  If no one else is running that blade, I'd get a 3/4" Trimaster for your saw.

Non carbide tipped blades will cut good for about 20 minutes, so the amount of use you need one to do will determine if the extra money for carbide tips will be worth it.  The carbide tipped blades will cut for something over 10,000 lineal feet in soft wood-can't say exactly for hardwood yet, as I don't have any jobs that require enough to test it.

I have a Laguna Resawing King but have never been impressed and typically use a HWW 1/2" wood slicer blade which I am very happy with. A lot of folks seem to be happy with the Lenox trimester as well. If I ever jump back into the carbide tip blade I will probably go that route but for now the $30 wood slicer meets my needs.

The WoodMaster Ct is a very good resaw blade I use them on my resaw machine.

I don't think you should use it on a wheel less than 20 inches.The band is .035 thick and your saw may not be happy trying to pull if tight.

The Resaw king is .025 I think. So that helps but they are expensive and that will make your wallet unhappy.

I bought a timber wolf blade couple months ago and the weld was a close to perfect as it gets.

Good luck.  Aj

I have an 18" as well and use it extensively for resawing and rip cuts.  Resaw King has been worth the extra money.  The cut is exceptional and I like the longevity.

on a side note, I initially ordered 3 different blades from Lenox when the saw arrived. The resaw blade was fouled up; burning the wood and actually cut out my 4hp Leason.  The smaller blades cut like crap too. After an hour on the phone with Laganua CS (manufacturer of bandsaw) they determined it was the blades rather than my new saw.  Ordered new blades from Laguna and sure enough the bandsaw works fine. The resaw King has been cutting exceptionally straight through 14-16" cuts.  I know Lenox has a lot of fans and a clear track record...but the blades I got were crap. 

I have the Rikon 18" saw.  I've been using the Woodslicer 3/4" with great success, when that blade wears out I'm replacing it with the Laguna Resaw King $$$$.  Nothing wrong with the Woodslicer, I'm setting up the saw as a dedicated resaw saw and want to set it up only once,