Plagiarized Tall Featherboard Jig

Rex Edgar

If I were you I'd position that featherboard before the blade instead of next to it, otherwise you risk trapping an offcut between the two and creating a missile.

For non-through cuts you wouldn't have to worry about it.  For something like your raised panels, you would.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

C'mon, Eric.........The featherboard will be against the vertical portion, not the diagonal being removed. The blade in my photo is not set to the 12 degrees or so of angle for the raised panel. 

Sorta like this.......

The offcut can still get trapped and turned into a missile.  It's cool though, I usually learn things the hard way, too.  Just don't stand behind the blade when you're using that contraption if you wanna keep the jewels intact. :)

Uh, yeah.  I know it's Rockler Magazine so people give it the benefit of the doubt (even though they shouldn't).

You can see at 6:40 when he makes the cut that the blade starts to suck the offcut back in towards him.  Luckily it didn't flop over...if it had...missile.

It's a handy device, I'm not saying throw it away.  Use it...just use it slightly before the blade instead of directly opposed to it.  Or don't.  It's your genitalia.

I have to agree with Eric here and for good reason (other than Eric's usually right).  I had something similar happen with my Gripper of all things. I was using it to cut a piece and the off cut got trapped between the outer Gripper leg and the blade. It did basically the same thing as it does on the fence side. Luckily it was small and the Gripper deflected it away from me. A change of shorts and I recalculated what happened and why. I might do that operation a hundred times and never have it happen again but I ain't taking that chance. 

Still, it's an interesting approach. 

• Like 1