Outdoor Bar & Table top finish.

KSH

I'm new to woodworking and finishes. I wanted to create a bar finish for a bar top that will be outdoors. I've used something called super glaze that i purchased from home depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Parks-1-qt-Gloss-Super-Glaze-Finish-and-Preservative-241352/202056337. it gave me exactly what i wanted except it slowly became terrible in the sun. I liked that i was able to pour a thick coating and that it was a smooth glass like finish. I've seen some other things online such as art resin http://www.artresin.com/ but I just don't think that will survive being in the sun 365 days a year.

I've considered marine varnish, but i'm not sure it will give me the finish i want, and i also don't want to have to re-apply it every year.

Thoughts, ideas?

Welcome to the forum.

Any finished wood outdoors is going to involve lots of maintenance. If you want a shiny plastic look, then why not just go with a plastic laminate like Formica?

Spar varnish is pretty good outdoors. The problem with an epoxy finish is that it's very sensitive to UV.

Marine varnish with UV inhibitors is very good but even that struggles long term in direct sunlight. It is flexible so it expands and contracts with wood movement to a degree. It is not completely perfect though, you won't get that smooth as glass finish as the Rustoleum epoxy and you do have to reapply periodically.

That Rustoleum product is intended for use indoors and is intended to be waterproof for things like drinks spills rather than total immersion (that's possible outdoors). Also there is no mention of UV inhibitors.

The technical data states "Super Glaze can be used over almost any interior surface; from rough and unfinished to stained, painted or smooth surface"

My buddy has an outdoor bar with a pour on finish. He covers the bar with a plastic tarp and bungee cords to hold the tarp down. Also, the tarp is large enough to cover the bar stools. Keeps everything clean until use. His bar top has done remarkably well, only slight ambering of the finish and it's going on 5 years old.

-Ace-