Rasp questions

prov163

I made a version of Marc's pizza peel for a Christmas gift. I watched his video and decided to shape the edge with a rasp like Marc did. Never used one before. I had a cheap Nicholson rasp and while I'm pleased with the end result, I did a good bit of sanding to smooth the surface. I get the feeling the process might have been easier.  So to my questions:

1.  What makes an Auriou or Logier rasp better?  I understand the "It's like the difference between a Buck Bros block plane and a Lie-Nielsen" argument. What I mean is in usage why is the hand stitched preferable to machine stitched?

2.  For those of you who use rasps, riffles, etc regularly, what would you consider an essential kit?  

3.  Brand preferences. 

I actually enjoyed using the rasp so I'm serious about adding some to the arsenal. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, prov163 said:

I made a version of Marc's pizza peel for a Christmas gift. I watched his video and decided to shape the edge with a rasp like Marc did. Never used one before. I had a cheap Nicholson rasp and while I'm pleased with the end result, I did a good bit of sanding to smooth the surface. I get the feeling the process might have been easier.  So to my questions:

1.  What makes an Auriou or Logier rasp better?  I understand the "It's like the difference between a Buck Bros block plane and a Lie-Nielsen" argument. What I mean is in usage why is the hand stitched preferable to machine stitched?

2.  For those of you who use rasps, riffles, etc regularly, what would you consider an essential kit?  

3.  Brand preferences. 

I actually enjoyed using the rasp so I'm serious about adding some to the arsenal. 

Thanks!

I think you may be asking the wrong question. 

You needed a good bit of cleanup because the rasp was too aggressive. Like sand paper, raps should be used in succession from more to less aggressive.  The least aggressive of the rasps leave a very close to sanding finish.  

To answer your question though,  in theory,  a machine cut rasp does not have random placement of teeth so it won't cut as uniformed.   I have auriou and Nicholson rasps. The auriou feels better in hand.  Both cut just as cleanly as the other if used in the correct orientation  and succession. 

I also found the medium Nicholson to be about equal to a #8. Definately too course to go straight to sanding.

• Like 1

One of the problems with machine cut rasps, is that the cutting edges are uniform, and can lead you to file in a uniform manner. For a well cut uniform rasp to be used properly is to use them with a lighter touch. to much pressure tends to make them grab in a line.  where a hand cut rasp doesn't want to go in any given line, therefore it's easier to put pressure on it and take it in any direction comfortably.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bob Lang said:

Follow the rasp with a card scraper. That shaves off the hills left by the rasp.

Bob Lang

Great tip, Bob. I went immediately to sandpaper and went through six grits. The scraper would have been quicker, easier and much less dusty!  I'll remember that for the future.