Tools You Would Get if You Would Start Over

nef

I am a beginning woodworker and wanted to start this "I'm sure overly done" post of what tools would you get first if you would have the opportunity to purchase tool 1.

From my research it seems that the tool choice ranges from planes, saws, chisel etc .. I haven't found any say start with marking gauges, wet/dry sand paper, surface plate etc ... for the record I am collecting tools as i find them but I feel I don't know what to 'really get first'.

FYI: I will be taking a freshman woodworking & furniture design (in three weeks) ... this will probably serve me well and I should get a better understanding of what's neccessay and what's luxury .. shed some light and if you can please let me kow the first 5-10 tools you'd buy if you would begin over.

Thanks a bunch and happy posting. :)

As others will say, it depends. It's a very loaded question and the tools to acquire depend on your interest in woodworking. Is it design, an expression of art, mostly furniture, cabinetry? The list of questions to answer goes on. Yes, you'll have better understanding as you progress. Enjoy the process.

Allow me to share a bit of advice with you that will help you to hold onto your money.

Someone once told me to buy tools only as you need them, and buy the best that you can afford of what you need. I did not always follow that advice and I ended up having tools that I did not need and hence, I did not use. When you go to sell them to make room for the tools you need, you will lose money. :rolleyes:

I would find out what tools they require for the course you are taking and start there. :D

hth,

John

If I were starting over, here's what the last 18 years have taught me:

- Learn to sharpen well, before buying any sharpening supplies

- I would have taken advantage of as many classes as I could, earlier on... Money spent on good, hands-on training, is money in the bank against overpriced jigs and gimmicky accessories. Video, magazine, and web info is helpful, but there are certain basics that really benefit from someone critiquing you as you go, and/or physically moving you through the motion. Think "learning to hit a golf or baseball, or learning to ski."

- I'd spend my money on the best dimensioning cornerstone machines I could, table saw, band saw, jointer... I'm still OK with a portable thickness planer, but I've had several examples of the others. If money were tight, I'd stick with used, as resale is closer to purchase price when upgrading later. Every machine that is not my "dream amchine" would be purchased with future resale in mind.

- I'd do the same on a good smooth plane, shoulder plane, block plane, jointer plane, hand saws and chisels. After all, I'd know how to sharpen and use them from the training! A decent saw, sharp chisels, and a few planes, combined with knowledge, can eliminate hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars of jigs and gimmicks.

- Learn that finishing starts with stock selection, and everything done along the way should have the final finish in mind.

Forget the surface plate. Go to a glass shop and ask if they have scraps of thick glass, should be cheap cause you don't need specific size or polished edges. Plate glass is very flat by its nature of mfg. Use wet or dry sandpaper to sharpen on. I found a wide range of grits at my local hardware store. Don't need sticky back either, water provides suction. Just need a honing guide to keep the angle right.

Glass is also good for any other flatness uses like a surface plate.

Welcome Nef! Vic is correct, woodworking is pretty broad and the tools you'll buy, depends on what you want to build - i.e. fine furniture requires one thing whereas building boats is another group of tools. I'm not an exclusive hand tool, Old School kind of guy - on WTO, they are the "Neanderthals". For the general type of woodworking that I do, and in the top slot....I'm glad I have a dust collection system. My dad died of lung complications so I'm twitchy about exotic wood dust in the air and as cheap as dust collectors are everywhere on Craig's List, there's absolutely no reason for everyone, to not have one. So as a "General Practitioner of Woodworking" I think for me, I'm glad I have a table saw, planer, band saw, and a drill press. Each one of these, I've bought cheap and upgraded as I figured out what direction i wanted to go. On the smaller tool side, I like my Dewalt 5" random orbital sander, cheap chisel set (planning on upgrading and adding to this a few more times), Eclipse 10" vise, and some stainless rulers for measuring and marking and clamps...CLAMPS!!! - You can never have too many clamps of all different shapes and sizes....can I get an 'amen'?- I've bought Irwin Quick grip 4 or 8 packs, Jorgensen bar clamps, and Pony pipe clamps; these are cheaper ways to begin if you need to; but I've finally bought some Jet Parallel clamps and really like them. If you go to The Wood Whisperer site, navigate to Amazon and make purchases, it's the same price for us and Marc gets a small cut. Hey....baby needs milk!!

As has been stated, a lot of your choice depends on what direction you'll be taking in woodworking. Are you building furniture, cabinets, art pieces, boats, toys?? How you answer will sway what tools you will need. BUT... you asked for the first 5 or so tools, so here's my list... my opinion of the basics all shops need after my 40 years of experience.... and gratefully acknowledging the sage advice above.

1) Table saw

2) Jointer

3) Planer

4) Router / router table

5) Sanding center

Just my opinion, I'm certain others will differ and you specific needs may differ as well. But, you asked.

Dave.

All the opinions count and are appreciated. I finally got my verification and will start a intro to woodworking & furniture design class in two weeks. I will wait for that experience to see which direction I'd like to go. overall, I just wanted to see what you've all done. i wasn't looking for this to even answer my question, just get an idea of 'others' experience. Combining the class and what I learn from you guys I will make better decision when the times comes.

I am thinking I would love to build furniture for myself. Something to actually use at home. I have interests in making boxes, jointers mallets, dominos set, coasters, bench and a desk .... These are my interests as of now.

Again, thanks a bunch, can't wait to get my restoration started ... on a Stanely No 4 plane (type 16) i got for 8 bucks. and an old 9 1/2 adj mouth block. ...

Wow, this is actually a very good question. There are many great answers to this. As many have mentioned a lot depends on the type of woodworking you plan to do. For me, I wouldn't trade my SawStop Professional Cabinet Saw for any tool in Marc's shop. The SawStop, however, is my 3rd table saw.

Having said that, I regularly drool over Marc's bandsaw. Today I have a 14" Craftsman bandsaw I got on clearance and although it is tuned to the point it runs perfectly true. This is my 3rd bandsaw and I'd still like to go bigger.

I finally ordered my Clearvue cyclone because my dust collection system has been woefully undersized for 20 years now. Again, this will be my 3rd dust collection system.

Today I sharpen with all diamonds all the time. Once again this is my 3rd sharpening system. It took me a while to figure out this is method works best for me.

I'm still in the process of building my roubo bench, which (you guessed it) will be my 3rd bench. (Incidently I would have had this done by now but I keep having other projects bump it down on my list, and then when my dust collector shot craps I had to postpone everything until I solved that issue.)

I'm also on my 3rd router table and thinking about making a change again.

It took me 3 sets of chisels to find the one I really like.

Of course I've hit a home run with a few things on the first try. My Veritas low-angle block plane was the first one I ever bought and it's a champ. My Lie Nielson #4 bronze smoothing plane has been a dream to own. My Veritas dovetail saw can't be beat. (But, I have woodworking friends who hate it and prefer a Japanese Pull Saw to perform the same function.) I have a Ridgid spindle sander which I can honestly say I've never considered upgrading or felt like it was inadequate. I have a good sized collection of Bessey Parallel Jaw Clamps and wouldn't trade them.

So, what is the point to my post?

If I answer your question and tell you what tools I would get if I were to stat over. I guess the answer to that is "I would like to skip my first 2 table saws. I would like to skip my first 2 bandsaws (maybe my first 3), I would like to skip my first 2 workbenches, I would like to skip my first 2 sharpening systems, etc..." But it would have been difficult, if not impossible for me to have known all of that until I went through the learning curve of figuring out what I really liked.

So my advice is if possible try as many different tools as you can get your hands on before you buy. Go to workshops and try different tools. Try your friends tools. Borrow them, rent them, what ever it takes to figure out what you really like. You can ask this forum for advice and get some great responses. But everyone on the forum has different needs, different methods of work, different budgets, different space requirements, heck, different sized hands.

I also suggest taking really good care of your tools. Obviously because they will last longer, but also because you can sell them for more if you find you'd like to upgrade or change.

Get high quality tools. They will make you much happier in the long run, and they will likely have better resale value if again, you want to make a change.

Lastly if you find something you really like, or a method of work you prefer, go with it. I'm not saying don't keep your mind open to other things, but find what works for you and what you enjoy and go with it. For example, I don't own a dovetail jig. Why? Because, I like cutting my dovetails by hand. I like using my dovetail saw, so that's what I do.

Sorry about the long winded post. I hope you enjoy the hobby and get as much out of it as I do. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

• Like 1

Good information Chet...if someone is new and doesn't know, he may be inclined to think that all of us got everything we liked on the first try. My table saw is my third, router table that I like is #3, band saw is #3...the list goes on. Nef, Craigs list is a good direction on many things. Be aware though...some people price their tools within 25% of a new one. Rule of thumb is used tools are 50% the price of a new one because of wear and no warranty - if - they are in good shape. I steer away from tools that come from production shops that see daily, heavy use. Keep us posted!

I guess I am "starting over" in a sense that I am going to start my own collection soon. I currently work in my father's basement shop which has every tool I need. Granted, they are not all the most quality tools that you can buy, but they get the job done.

As of right now, the only tools that I personally own are a Festool TS55 saw, corded DeWalt drill, and a set of chisels. When I have my own space, the first tools I will buy are a table saw, random orbital sander, router, impact driver, and either a biscuit jointer or domino. Not in any particular order, but those are the most used tools for me.

I would wait on a planer and jointer until I could afford a nice pair (or combo unit). I would borrow the tools that my father has to get those jobs done.

If I had to pick out the tools exactly, right now, they would probably be:

- Laguna Fusion table saw

- Festool Rotex 125

- Festool OF1400

- DeWalt Impact Driver

- Festool Domino

I asked a very similar question not to long ago and have now had more time to think about it. The reality is that we can't hit the reset button and start all over as if we had never done woodworking before and hindsight is always 20/20. Buying tools and establishing a shop is just part of process and you have to make some bad choices before you make good ones (true for most things). I don't know of very many woodworkers who are able to buy there "dream" equipment right off the bat even is Norm himself was setup your shop you would probably still second guess one or two things. We buy tools and sometimes we are unhappy and sell them and get something else. If we only have space and $$ for a contractor saw or a 6" jointer we get that and upgrade when able. I guarantee most of us waste more money in interest and depreciation on a vehicle then we would in a lifetime of buying and selling tools that we did not like.

• Like 2

I asked a very similar question not to long ago and have now had more time to think about it. The reality is that we can't hit the reset button and start all over as if we had never done woodworking before and hindsight is always 20/20. Buying tools and establishing a shop is just part of process and you have to make some bad choices before you make good ones (true for most things). I don't know of very many woodworkers who are able to buy there "dream" equipment right off the bat even is Norm himself was setup your shop you would probably still second guess one or two things. We buy tools and sometimes we are unhappy and sell them and get something else. If we only have space and $$ for a contractor saw or a 6" jointer we get that and upgrade when able. I guarantee most of us waste more money in interest and depreciation on a vehicle then we would in a lifetime of buying and selling tools that we did not like.

Best response I have seen. I have 5.99% interest loan on my truck for 72 months. I will be paying it off much sooner than that, but I have already paid $500 in interest on it. That could have went towards a few nice tools by now.
  • Like 1

I like the turn this thread has taken. While you should search/read/try/ask before buying tools there is also something to be said for taking the plunge and getting a tool when you need it, then if you find you don't like it, take a good look at why you don't like it and use that information to help you buy tools that are closer to what you want and need.

All that having been said, here are a couple things I would advise (with the disclaimer that I haven't been doing this long)

• Any time you can use someone's tools, just to see how you like them, do it. (Sounds like you've already done this quite a bit.)
  • Don't get analysis-paralysis! Sometimes it's tough to figure out what the best tool available is, and other times you can't afford the best, but it's better to have a tool and use it!
  • Buying tools used or on sale takes the sting out of the loss you may take re-selling it if you don't like it.
  • Before you buy a jig figure out what it would take to make it instead. If it's worth the time savings, buy the jig, but either way you'll probably get a better idea what you're looking for.
  • If you don't like a tool figure out why you don't like it and how you'll avoid those problems when you replace it.
  • Don't feel bad selling or giving away a tool that didn't work for you, unless it presents a safety hazard. It may suit someone else's needs or help them learn what they need better.
  • As others have said, try not to buy a tool until you need it. You might go in an different direction or miss out on a newer version of a tool that would work better.

You definitely got folks talking. Always a good thing!

Jon

• Like 1

Awesome responses ... so many different perspectives even if ever so slight. I can see how this loaded question really does not have one true answer. But, that's ok. I see figuring it all out by trial and error is part of the woodworkers life. I thought people would start with hand tools only first ... but I guess I was wrong.

I thought people would start with hand tools only first ... but I guess I was wrong.

I tried doing the all hand tool thing and it made me miserable, I was even a member of the HTS for a couple years (No fault of Shannon's he really does a good job and is a great person). Even with his videos I did not have the time nor the patients to make an all hand tool shop work. Oh well I chocked that up to a learning experience, I bought good tools so I will able to get 85% of my money back. I then got a TS55, MFT 1080 and ETS 150, both the MFT and The ETS I bought off someone and got a crap load of sand paper with it. I was not completely satisfied with that setup either. I thought the TS55 and the MFT would replace a table saw but they didn't and I continued to struggle to find satisfaction in my woodworking. I went a few months without building anything and really got into biking, sold all my Festool stuff broke even and bought a nice road bike. Sometimes I do wish I still had the TS55 but I love having a road bike an it got plenty of use this summer. I find myself longing for woodworking and doing some small projects here or there with the few tools that I do have. I plan on getting some more tools soon but not sure when. What I do know is that I am going to start by adding a table saw and a jointer. My shop is in a 1 car garage that is only wired for 110v so I will limited to 1.75 HP saw and a 6" jointer, which is fine. These are not going to be my "dream" tools but thats okay. As you can see I have kind of been all over the place and there is no guarantee that adding a table saw and jointer is going = woodworking bliss but its what I am going to do.

I hear what you're saying James....part of what we like to do is keyed to our personality...if a person is a little more high strung, he will hunt, fish, and even woodwork a certain way. A more type A personality has trouble sometimes sitting in a tree stand for hours and or anchoring down to fish....in this region, they bass fish-- "run and gun"-- spinner baits, covering ground, casting, casting, fire up the 250Hp and run 10 miles down the river to hit a few more spots. It seems a personality like that will have trouble with slow, detailed work that comes with hand tools. I'm kind of a hybrid...I like some slow detailed stuff but then I have to fire up something with power (Tim the Tool man "Grunt Grunt Grunt"). I did an insurance review 2 weeks ago in a home I have insured for $1.3 million. He has a family heirloom; an armoire built in the 1700s. I have to say, seeing it up close and touching the places where craftsmen carved in all the details really did something to me. It may sound goofy, but it was moving. The carving was not perfect as you see when an automated CNC machine turns it or routes in the details. Maybe something happened in that moment? I don't know...time will tell but the point is Nef, there's something inside of me that reached out to that piece of history. It made me want to build something that my great, great grandchildren will inherit. Find what inspires you, and you'll know what tools you'll need to buy. Taking courses, reading books, and hanging around with someone gray haired will definitely help - but most importantly, pay attention to you.

I'll chime in with one item that I think was mentioned obliquely: Dust collection/breathing air filtration.

If you plan on doing anything that makes fine dust, then PLEASE ensure you either have proper find dust collection (clearvue is a good example) or make sure you wear a good respirator (ideally both..). I finally broke down and got one like Marc uses, and am immensely satisfied. I find it comfortable, and most importantly, after a few hours in the shop, I take it off, come in the house, and can breath comfortably without coughing for hours. It sounds like you're a younger person, so you are likely still at that "I'm indestructable" point in your life, but trust me, a bit of prevention now can save you a lot of grief down the road :).. You can find a good mask for a very reasonable price, just make sure it fits properly, both because they work better that way, but it also means it will be more comfortable, meaning you'll wear it more.. Also, ensure you change the filters as required. Personally, my rule of thumb is if I take a deep breath with the mask on and I can't smell anything, I'm happy..

If this is something you've already got covered, my apologies for murdering so many good electrons.. I now return you to your regularly scheduled shop work :)...

Starting over, I would not get the TS first, it would be the band saw. After you find your direction the bandsaw will be usable either way (Just ask Shannon). Shannon's other keeper is the planner. If you go power, get a jointer and TS, if you go the hand tool route, then planes and hand saws. As others hav said buy them as you go and get the best you can, don't by sets that don't make sense. 10 forstner bits will probably not be as good as the ones you buy one at a time and you may not need all the 10 sizes included. Use your head and the heads of the forum members and go slow. There will be fewer poor purchases and better tools long term.

With that in mind, I just today bought a 1 1/16" forstner bit. Never needed one before but was starting to do some pepper mils and needed that specific size. Now I have a good one, it is not 15 years old and pitted from non use.

BRuce

I agree with a lot of what's been said. I'll add that I would recommend getting one major tool at a time. That gives you a chance to spend some quality time with your new purchase, setting it up and tuning it up and learning about it's features, doing some test runs, and then using it for whatever project motivated you to buy it. There's a lot of satisfaction in that.

For me, looking at three or four tools that I need to set up, tune, and read about just seems like a big chore. Especially if you are buying used.