Salad Bowl or Mineral Oil first?

cornballbub

PICS!  I GOT PICTURES!

This is the cutting board/countertop just fitted.  Over the weekend I hope to be able to apply the finish.  Friend decided on the mineral oil and my plan is to coat the top and bottom evenly, 2-3 coats allowing for absorbtion between.

I still do have a question about the Oil finish

Does the oil in anyway affect the glue joints over time, especially if it will need re-coating from time to time?

Let me know...

post-13612-0-13561400-1362773397_thumb.j

post-13612-0-50823900-1362773534_thumb.j

I sure hope it doesn't or there will be cutting boards falling apart everywhere! :) Seriously though, the oil should have no impact. 

I do, however, have one big concern based on your photos and I hate being the bearer of bad news. It appears that you have surrounded the wooden slab with a frame. At some point in the near future, you will very likely have a problem. Either the frame is going to separate as the boards expand and contract, or your board is going to check or buckle. It's just a question of who loses the movement battle, the frame or the board. And especially since you went with oil, which doesn't seal the wood all that well, you will likely experience this problem sooner rather than later. 

Yes, they'll wake up and "attack of the mini boards" all over the place! LOL!

I hope it takes longer for that frame to be affected as you say... I thought the frame would move along with the board (same material and glued the same) oh well:)  Marc, do you have you first hand knowledge of this woody behaviour?

If it happens, I'll let you all know....until then....

SCIENCE!

I made the same mistake on a desktop years ago. The edge board will not change length but the width of the top will vary with seasonal wood movement. As the moisture content changes it could move about 1/8" per foot( just a ballpark guess). How did you attach the edge strip? If it was just nailed on it might not be that bad.

USDA reccomends using 1 tablespoon bleach in a gallon of water. Wet the surface , let it stand for a few minutes , wipe it up and rinse with clear water, then dry. Especially after cutting chicken or raw meats.

Other sites recommend using vinegar or lemon juice . I remember a study was done by the Forrest Products Lab on wood cutting boards, try looking for that.

I attached the edge strip glue only, for that matter the whole board is glue only.

I'm hoping (if you look at the close detail pic)  I ran the edge board the length of the long boards and then just capped them all with an edge over....

Did the edge on your desk fail?  How long did it take to occur?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I found this thread. My parents are redoing their kitchen and my mother has asked for a section of the counter to be butcher block. I had been thinking it over for awhile, looks to me like mineral oil is going to be the best option for me as well. 

Thanks everyone for their expertise.

Hey USMC, your handle sounds offical, if so, first, thank you for serving this great country. Next, I know Wdwerker put the kabash on my project, but I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. In a stable enviroment like a modern kitchen, in a modern climate controlled home, I still believe I have a chance....just saw it the other day and its still solid (installed 6 weeks). So there! I'll update again....