Old Rockwell Unisaw 34-761

sjeff70

Does anyone know anything about the old Rockwell Unisaw, 34-761?  I guess Pentair owned Rockwell during the 80s but operated under Delta International at some point.  Does anyone know the years they manufactured this machine?

I would love to buy an older saw but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.  Which are the most sought after makes/models? 

I'm just shopping here...this one happens to be 3HP, 3 Phase, and the sellers are asking $300.  They claim it runs well.  

3K63Mf3F25Nf5Ib5M1d2131e603d0476b121d.jp

I have 2 of them in my small custom cabinet shop. My first saw was bought in the early 80's and I had to replace the bearings and 3 drive belts after 25 years of daily use. It has a 120 volt motor so I use thin rip blades . 240 volt 3 hp motor in the second saw has plenty of power, this would be your best choice. Very rugged and easy to work on these saws.

I would look for a single phase motor unless you have 3 phase available. Or want to go the phase converter route.

Wow, you have two.  Thanks wd.

I've been wanting to buy a used table saw but I've been trying to finish my house and sell one of my cars.  I've had no room.

I would like to tinker with a few older saws for a few reasons.  Ultimately I think a 90s model Delta Unisaw would be a good buy but sellers want too much for them and they don't come up for sale much. 

I was looking around earlier today on the internet and found this 1939 Unisaw.  

It's a real beauty:

90-B.jpg

• 3 years later...

I just finished a unisaw restoration including switching out from a 3 phase to single phase motor.

I took out the millennium 5hp 3ph and put in a  Baldor 3hp single phase. The unisaw has a special mounting bracket so only purpose made unisaw motors will fit. I was looking between the leeson and baldor. Went with the bigger name with better history.

keep in mind, these motors are super not cheap. You can expect four to six hundred dollars for the bare motor depending on shipping. Still will need a switch $40, and the wiring and plug $40

If you are going to the trouble of swapping the motor, I would check for any pivot point bushings or any other cheap wear points that can be serviced while you are in there. I don't know old Unisaws well, but I prefer to be a "go in once" type. Get all your restore done up front. 

I have had my UniSaw apart twice in 32 years. Just to avoid the effort to adjust everything replace bearings, belts and any other wear items while you are swapping motors.

My first set of belts lasted 25 years, one broke so I ordered a new set. Remaining 2 belts let me keep working until they arrived. 2nd set lasted 5 years. Buy matched belt set and pay for quality ones !

Leeson makes decent motors as well. My saw came with a Baldor.

• 4 years later...