Hello from St Pete FL

funktionhouse

My wife Zoe and I own and operate FUNKTIONHOUSE Urban Lumber & Furnishings. Together we build one of a kind, quality home furnishings using urban trees cut down in our own neighborhood. We save these beautiful trees by working with local arborists, home-owners, and municipalities—having trees that otherwise would have been firewood or landfill delivered to our studio/milling yard.

Our diverse population in Florida has introduced many sub-tropical hardwoods from SE Asia, S.A. and AU. Some have become invasive and others provide us with locally grown exotics like Indian rosewood, camphor and blue mahoe. 

Looking forward to learning and contributing.

Rob

post-13854-0-96425400-1365907258_thumb.j

post-13854-0-99158100-1365907274_thumb.j

post-13854-0-75340800-1365907280_thumb.j

post-13854-0-56452400-1365907293_thumb.j

post-13854-0-31090700-1365907329_thumb.j

• Like 1

glad to have you it looks like you have a good busness going there you should be able to contribute alot to the group with your expierence and style of art work..  in the years i have been here i have discovered that this is a very active and lively group of wood workers.  i think that you will find that the people here are very helpfull so if you ever need any help please ask.

Hi FH,

Welcome to the site.  I wanted to say that I appreciate your business and wish you were on the west coast!  I have a wax myrtle (sp?) tree on my property (just moved in) that fell probably 25 years ago and has grown roots all along the underside.  When I started to cut it up I noticed how beautiful the wood is inside with pinks, greens and almost blue colors.  I'm wondering if you know anything about this wood.  Do you know if it can be worked wet or do I need to let it dry out for a couple of years?  Also, thanks for the comments you made on my beach find:) and we are all looking forward to more of the same.