Turning in Shorts

Mike M

The weather is warming up again and its time to switch back to wearing shorts while working in the shop.  Problem is I took up wood turning over the winter and find this new activity comes with a change in the debris that is scattered about, especially into the tops of my shoes.

A little sawdust in my shoes wasn't a major problem when I was just dealing with regular woodworking activities.  The chips coming off the lathe are another matter.  They get stuck on my socks and get rubbed by the tongue and sides of my shoes, working their way into my ankles.  This causes itching and discomfort.

Since the wood fibers stick to my socks, a blow with the air hose does little good.

How do others handle this problem?

Mike

I have never had opportunity to use a wood lathe. I have operated a couple metal lathes. These lathes do not rely on the same operation principles but the containment they include have me wondering. Could you construct a plexi shield to your lathe stand that you could body up to while turning to keep shavings away from you similar also to the dust collection walls inside a cabinet saw?

The plexi shield might help some but the tool rest sits outside of the lathe bed and has to move a lot. Many of the chips come up over your hand and then down into your shoes. I will take a look at a shield attached to the tool rest, that might help in some circumstances. I only turn in overalls so I just get them long enough but keeping the shavings contained would help shorten cleanup time.

BRuce

Wear trousers and site boots with the legs of the trousers over the boots.

He wants to wear shorts...

When I'm fly fishing, in the summertime I wet-wade and sometimes wear these gravel guards to keep the little pebbles out of my boots.  This was intended to be a joke, but now that I think about it, it would probably be a pretty effective solution.  Made by Simms.  You'd look like a complete idiot in your garage, but who cares.

guidemodelgravelguards7.jpg

He wants to wear shorts...

When I'm fly fishing, in the summertime I wet-wade and sometimes wear these gravel guards to keep the little pebbles out of my boots.  This was intended to be a joke, but now that I think about it, it would probably be a pretty effective solution.  Made by Simms.  You'd look like a complete idiot in your garage, but who cares.

guidemodelgravelguards7.jpg

LOL 

:D

I was annoyed at the $25 price tag on the plexi shield / dust hood from Rockler, but I went from my DC catching 20%-40% up to >95% on any project <6" diameter.  I do mostly pens / bottle stoppers, but I almost never have any saw dust on me anymore when I walk away from lathe.  I used to be covered, belly to boot.  I have worn shorts without noticing any issues.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10578&site=ROCKLER

One perk, is the shield on the front that flips down, allows me to do pens without a full face shield needed.  The way it sits, it has great protective coverage.  This thing takes a beating in the "Average" reviews on rockler.com, but you'll notice most are people expecting it to do somethin it wasn't designed for.  Small bowls, and small spindles only.  

I've done turning in jeans with missing knees, and in sandals without socks.  (It's a local joke what color the socks are supposed to be.)  I can honestly say that the dust that comes off is irritating when it's rubbing against the skin.  If it catches in the hairs, you won't feel it... but someone else will.  At the time when I was doing this, I had a helpful household helper who would remove the dust without my noticing... alas, he is no longer available to help.

If you really want to clean up, a quick wipe down with a damp rag will get most of the dust and smaller chips, while the blood will wash away most of the bigger ones.  (And if you're doing bigger chips, you need to sharpen more.  Just my personal concept.)

(All joking aside, I've never had more than a stinging reminder that this is not sitting still.  That stinging faded after merely 30 minutes, and didn't leave a bruise.)

You could get yourself a pair of Dawgs.

http://www.amazon.com/DAWGS-Ultra-Lite-MUT-Oxford/dp/B0036ZZME0/ref=sr_1_10?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1366689709&sr=1-10&keywords=dawgs

They provide more protection than flip flops and you can just blow them off with the air compressor or hose them off.

Don't wear socks with them or you'll be right back where you started.