Router plane advice sought

Jfitz

I'm looking at getting a router plane, for cleaning out dados and fine tuning tenons.  As usual, I am stuck in the "Veritas versus Lie Nielsen" debate.  When I first started looking, I'd say that they were on par with each other (and I know I'd be thrilled with either), except now it looks like there are a few differences that have caused me some pause:

- The Veritas large router plane has a wider selection of blades, without having to get a hokey blade adapter like he one required by LN to use the blades from their smaller plane.

- The Veritas plane has an available inlay cutter head.

- Lie Nielsen has the fence included, although one is available from Lee Valley.

To me, the fence is a 'wash' since it can be had for either plane.

For those of you with the Veritas plane: do you feel the availability of the additional blades has been a benefit?  Does anyone have (and use) the inlay cutter head?

For those of you with the Lie Nielsen plane: do you find that the 3/8" blade has been sufficient?  Have you bought the adapter and smaller blades, and actually used them?

I have the Veritas, and I did get the fence with it.  The big motivation for the Veritas over the Lie-Nielsen was the selection of blades, and not needing an adapter for the smaller sizes.  Admittedly, I still just have the 2 that came with it, but will buy the additional blades as needed.

For those of you with the Lie Nielsen plane: do you find that the 3/8" blade has been sufficient?  Have you bought the adapter and smaller blades, and actually used them?

Yes, and no.

The typical tasks that I am using a router plane (Record, not Lie-Nielsen, but the blade is the same width) for are cleaning up the bottom of a groove or dado, which are larger than 3/8", so a smaller blade would be less advantageous for this task. For smaller grooves, I have a smaller router plane. Usually, a small groove is in a position that makes using the large router plane a bit difficult, so the small router is useful in more ways than just having a small blade.

The other task that would be more difficult with a router plane that would require a smaller blade is line inlay work. But I would argue that a router plane is not the best tool for that anyway. Better to have real inlay tools if you're doing a lot of that.

Don't forget, whatever version you get, you can add a shop-made base to close up the opening.

I have both sizes of the Veritas.    I normally use them for dado and groove cleanup, many times after a power tool, as well as hinge installation. 

I don't use them much for inlay, as I use a Dremel with a Stewart MacDonald base and Drill Technologies end mills for stringing, and a trim router for banding.   The inlay work mine do see is similar to hinge installations.   I have never used a fence with mine, even though I have one.

I've used mine, as well as borrowed LN's, Records, and Stanleys, and I think they're all perfectly usable.   These are very simple tools.  I chose the Veritas, because at the time I bought them, the LN only had the open throat version, and I wanted closed.  Since then, I've learned about sub-bases, and LN offers options, so I see them as all good.

I hadn't heard "Grannie's Tooth", but I know about "Old Woman's Tooth"...  :D

For those of you with the Veritas plane: do you feel the availability of the additional blades has been a benefit?  Does anyone have (and use) the inlay cutter head?

Yes and Yes.  I use both the 1/4" and 1/2" blades equally and on occasion the 3/32" is nice.  I have the inlay cutter too. I honestly haven't used the inlay head much yet mainly because a project hasn't come up where I wanted it, but its pretty cool.  It essentially scores two lines a set distance apart so that you can then go in and clean out with one of the regular blades.   It makes straight banding really easy and consistent.  Honestly I love my LV router plane...its probably my favorite tool.  The blade versatility (and low price of the additional blade sizes) is what really sold me on it, as well as the fact that fence has a wider range than the LN.  At the time LN also didn't make the closed throat router and that was important to me.   I never once second guessed my decision to get the LV version of the router plane, but of course there are just as many people who love their LN equally well.  You'll be happy with either, but if you can get your hands on one or the other it would be helpful. Some people really prefer the straight up handles of the LN and some prefer the canted handles of the LV.  Some prefer on depth stop on one or the other.  Even if the blade sizes don't matter those things might.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have an old Stanley and wouldn't want to live without it. For me I bounce between the 1/4" and 1/2"spear point and have never felt the need for other sizes. I do like the spear point but at times a flat bottom is nicer so a 1/2" straight is in my future. As for inlay I have a separate jig so I don't have any input on that. Mine is an open throat base but I made an auxiliary base that closes it off otherwise its problematic on narrower stock.

• 1 month later...

I don't have either LN or Veritas, but the Stanley small and large routers are extremely useful not just for smoothing the bottoms of grooves, but also for squaring up the cheeks of tenons, and (but don't tell anyone) I've also used them as a marking gauge many times.

The spear point blade is a wonderous thing. It can smooth the edges of a groove so perfectly. Takes a bit of fiddling to sharpen, but is well worth the effort. Seems to be the one 'missing' in most ebay auctions though.

Sorry to be pedantic but I think Granny's tooth is correct, you can have two grannies, but as far as a single tooth is concerned...

Being a simple tool (though not so simple to sharpen) many were made in wood - though not quite as well as Derek's.

John

• Like 1