mobile lathe stand for everything

duckkisser

i have been turning for little more then a  year and during that time i turned on a old dresser but i have outgrown it and am thinking i need to build a stand that is more suited to my turning style.  it has to be mobile since recently i have shrunk my shop down to a corner of the basement and pulling lathe out in the driveway. plus the dresser is starting to wear out from draging around the shop and shoving it back and forth to get it into storage.

what it will need is  

42 inches by 20 inches for the delta 46-460 and extension.

the 20 inches should give enought room for lathe and bench grinder and a light

sand bags (helps dampen vibration but if the weight is too much they will need to be lessoned or removed.  thinking of a couple of trays on the bottom.  to hold my sand bags in.

couple of drawers for drawer for my jacobs chuck, two chucks and assorted jaws, my flat longsworth jaw, pen mandrel, ring mandrel, faceplates, tool rests, steady rest, wrenches, chuck keys ect....

drawer for paper towls and finishes like wax, and shellack based finishes and for sand paper thinking similar to a file drawer with sliding deviders to put sand paper in.

face mask

calipers 3-4 different kinds

lathe pattern guides for turning things like chess pieces

tool rack/drawer was thinking of puting angled pvc piping to be tool sleeves http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/shop/archive/2012/08/01/double-duty-lathe-cabinet.aspx like the tools are stored in this but rather it be down one side rather then across the top since this desighn limits the size of the bottom space

second idea for tool holder thinking of a  couple of drawers with a screen bottom so the wood chips can fall out but i can leave it open to pull my tools out as i switch them.  this would probably be the most economical storage for a portable stand

would like to mount speakers on it so that i can listen to music/podcasts while im turning this is a requirement or else i would go crazy and climb a clock tower with my skew. 

built in outlet and cord reel so that i can have my lathe, bench light, speakers, grinder all powered up and i just need to wind out the cord and plug and play. 

now the forums input

if anyone has an idea of something obvious i have not thought of please let me know so i can add it to my desighn.

if anyone has some input on the best way to make a dresser/stand like im thinking please let me  know since i know very little about making a drawer style stands

what kind of thickness of ply wood should i build this out off i had thought that a 1/2 ply would be enough but i dont know.   

havent decided what ill make it from.

what i have figured out is there will  be a drawer for finishes because the dressor just has wax and shellack based stuff siting on the back and i have to pick them up and move them when ever i set up my lathe in the driveway.  thinking the finish drawer will be a pull out box where the front end has a opening it for paper towels to hang from.  then i just need to leave it open use my finishes and paper towels and when im done put it back in.  my tool drawers/stand ill pull out keep my tool in that rather then sit on the top of my dresser.  so when im done working i just push the drawer in and put my lathe away for the night. decided on the drawers to save room. 

i want to just pick the entire thing up take outside plug in and play not take it apart carry each drawer and box out pull it out and then set it up and play.  ill end up saving about a half hour of work if i make it right.