British Joiners Bench

G S Haydon

Hopefully these couple of vids are less painful than the German Guys in my last link. I'm in the throws of making the shelf and I thought I would share a couple of vids I did on preparing stock by hand. Positive and Negative comments welcome.

http://youtu.be/CGk7JI1z030

http://youtu.be/0b8BchfQSAw

With further write up here

• Like 1

Yeah, the estwing acoustics leave the ears ringing  :blink:

Bench height seems OK although I'm happy to be pragmatic about what's good for me. Although I enjoy a bit of stock prep most of the time it will be joinery so a bit closer higher seems kinda logical.  I think it's about 37" ish at the moment.

• Like 1

It's good stuff, Graham.  You're a natural.  Crack a few jokes and put on some lipstick and hooker boots and Spagnuolo has competition. :D

Yeah you need some sound control.  It's like when you're watching an action movie on your home theater and the voices are normal, then all of a sudden there's an explosion and you're bleeding out of your ears.  I had Abby on my lap watching your second video and she said, "Ugh, why is his ham plane so noisy?"

Chet, mispronounce, no way, I'm a Devon boy so if any mispronunciation is happening it's most likely me. 

mkirby, i'm 32 going on 72, I mean how many folks in their early 30's like wooden planes and videos of Irish cabinet makes with comb overs.

With that coment about age, you make me feel even older...ha.

Here are the pronunciations (as per each side of the drink):

(click the speaker icon)

UK 11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.pngi/ˌæljʉˈmɪniəm/

al-ew-min-ee-əm;

US 11px-Speakerlink-new.svg.pngi/əˈljmɨnəm/

ə-lew-mi-nəm

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost there, only the face vice left to make. I would really like to have it done by the end of next weekend. My most recent task has been fitting the shelf. Beware most of this post is about making a shelf!

I decided to dust of the multi planes to make my tongue and grooving.

post-11619-0-83408400-1382310652_thumb.j

I will be putting together a blog entry which will be more extensive article on the multi plane. I'm lucky to have access to both a Stanley 45 and a Record 405. You can get an idea of what you can do with one although when you combine so many operations set up time can/does take a little longer.

post-11619-0-89276600-1382310802_thumb.j

You lucky souls get the first heads up on some more phone shot vids, I'm trying harder to look more natural, but I'm never going to win any beauty contests.....

First up some blurb on the planes and then forming the tongues. I must just say how useful I'm finding the aprons. When I last used the Multi Plane back in feb it was a nuisance. Our quick release vises are not flush with the side of the bench so the work was floating around. Not so any more. And holdfasts, what a revelation, never knew what I was missing.

http://youtu.be/37kJGzvzYDg

And then onto the grooving 

http://youtu.be/mS7glsVShmE

MMMM aggressive shavings!

post-11619-0-85038300-1382311254_thumb.j

To finish the edges I applied a small v joint to the edges of the boards with this little smoother, its about half the size of a normal smoother and is ideal for removing arises and the like.

post-11619-0-07933100-1382311419_thumb.j

The boards are random width so I lopped of 25mm or so to allow it to fit snugly within the rails. The boards were then nailed down with some more hand made nails.

post-11619-0-79302100-1382311535_thumb.j

Now I have a shelf to pop my tools on, and build up filth, dust, crap, stuff that should go in the bin.....But for now it's good

post-11619-0-56329100-1382311636_thumb.j

I'm really looking forward to getting that vice on to finish it off.

7bcaa31b2727d1fe89be9082e73074ea.jpg

• Like 1

I'll look at the videos later, but just looking at the pics it looks nice! Those multiplanes are brilliant. The more I use my #45 the easier it gets. I love it for tongue and grooves. I love it less for beading, but I suspect that's due to my lack of a proper bench.

Your bench looks spectacular. I am looking forward to seeing it all finished. I am glad you resisted the urge to build the Roubo.

Thanks Mel

I'm delighted with how nice it is to work on. As it's a bench built without a bench I started using it as soon as the aprons were attached. Therefore it's already looking used which is exactly the vibe I'm going for!

As for resisting the Roubo it was a tough choice but so far no real regrets, that comes later.......... 

• Like 1

Cannot do it Graham, the hoodie strings hanging in my face and hands bug the crap out of me. As a low budget hobby man (sans bench) I take great joy in the fact that you are able to make the apron hold fasts work. This could allow a guy to delay the vise purchase for awhile. Thanks for this update.