British Joiners Bench

G S Haydon

So I finally made some time to get to grips with bench build. After reading Chris Schwarz book on workbenches my opinion swung like a clock pendulum on which style I would go for. I though I would go for the French style of bench and I even did a model of what my interpretation would look like.

Time passed and I slowly gravitated towards the English style of bench. I liked the way it is very simple and quick to build. It's also typically the traditional bench a British joiner would use. As I'm a British Joiner I almost felt duty bound to build one. I also think it makes a really cost effective workbench too.

Just because I chose this type of bench it does not mean I think its the best or better than any other bench concept, or that my choices mean I know better. They just seem to make scene right now but I'm pragmatic enough to change things if they need changing.

The build will be focused on simple methods with simple hand tools and cheap materials. I'm no hand tool snob, I just enjoy using them because my day job at our joinery workshop means power tools and machines are used a great deal.

I did quite a bit of research on the bench and every author or modern woodworker has their own take on it. Whether it was the Georgian Joiner Peter Nicholson from the 1820's or most recently Paul Sellers they all had a version of the same core concept which is a bench top made more rigid by aprons, a simple face vice, bench pegs and on some offerings a tail vice.

I covered some of the initial reflections and fact finding on my blog. I wasn't sure if everyone would like being weighed down by some of the fact finding. If you want a cure to insomnia follow the links to the 

Inspiration       Intro     Workbench Height      Workbench Height Part 2     Work Holding   Work Holding Part 2     Vice Choices     

Bench Pegs      Holdfast     Wood Choice . Now you can see why I didn't want to bog you down  :)

The rest of the build I will share with you here, as you will see I'm trying to do that with Video content too. If the vids end up being to crappy or my nasal sounding English accent annoys you just say and I'll stop  ;). Hopefully when it's all done I'll post a "How To" here to go with my dovetail guide.

Today I started marking out my leg components for cutting to length. All timber is PSE/S4S pine for the legs at a finished size of 1 1/2" x 3 1/2". I chose imperial for setting out this build as I should not have to anything more accurate than a 1/4" unit of measure, it's nearly construction carpentry. 

The first video is just a quick look at the timber

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVlHSJRLVO8

The second one is some very basic layout before cutting to length. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtXn1xx7Rho

A slow start but more to follow soon I hope.

Good videos Graham sound quality was good too. I'm looking forward to following the build.

I bought some preplaned kiln dryed redwood 44x98 just today for a project I'm currently doing for my wife's drama group and was pleasantly surprised at its quality. The pieces I selected were straight as a die with no twist or cupping. Certainly good enough for a bench top when glued together so I may consider it when I get around to building my bench ( to replace the commercial one I currently have).

T

Thank you Terry.

I did start with 44 x 96/98 but planed it down to what I think are typical US sizes so it would translate better. From a quality perspective I'm right with you. Builders Merchants have the best range of PSE Redwood with many sizes ready to go and as you say more than adequate for a bench top.

If i bring tea and biscuits can i come and watch you build it ;)

I havent decided what style I'm going with yet, i think it will depend on how much money i have at the time. Need to chop some height off the old bench carcass to see what my new height should be and then i can hopefully try and do some cost estimates of different types.

Looking forward to this one.

Found a bit of time to cut the legs frame sections to length. All the timber to make these can be cut from four 8′ lengths of 2′ x 4′ PSE/S4S stock which has a finished size of 1 1/2″ x 3 1/2″. I cut out the following sections;

• 4 x Inner Legs 36 1/2″ Long
  • 4 x Outer Legs 27 1/4″ Long
  • 2 x Bottom Rails 27 3/4″ Long
  • 2 x Top Rails 24 3/4″ Long

All quickly dispatched these with a 9TPI disposable hardpoint saw (other methods are available).The reason why I went for this type of saw was because it costs less than £10.00, super sharp and easy to use. It’s good to have one of these saws in the arsenal. Premium saws or vintage saws would be great options too but would cost more to buy or cost more time sharpen and get fit for use, they can come later when the bench is here.

Here are a couple of vids that need some work, some coherent speech would be a start...........

Me cutting Wood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tndMvC_UD0w

Me cutting more wood, the only bit of this vid I like is when I shut up and just cut the wood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39D4iKn56zM

A little step forward. I cut what will become the outer leg shoulder that meets the apron. I used the knife wall technique. Hands up, I had never heard about the knife wall until I joined the forum. I was shown to knife mark and cut to that knife mark at College and at work I was expected to cut a shoulder to a pencil line (not often I had to do that and the context was general joinery, not cabinet work).

The big advantage for me was it made shooting the end of the wood easy without a shooting board.

workbench-build.jpg?resize=441%2C588

See my attempt at a knife wall here. I've given up trying to talk over the vids. Come the end I will edit and add voice over. (also link is not working  :(, will sort it tomorrow)

http://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=nCC6EWmTMEg&ns=1

We call the wood of the giant Sequoia Sempeverion redwood here. Very rot resistant and expensive. What is the tree your "redwood" comes from?

Your videos using a handsaw remind me of my grandfather teaching me how to use one when I was a boy. Thanks for reviving that memory! He gave me that saw and engraved it as a gift. I still use it on occasion.

The last video seems to be private or subscription maybe?

Great start on your project,your voice is pleasant to my ears. My cousin lives in London and she has picked up the accent, must be contagious.

Knifewall technique is a good one I thought it was common knowledge. I was taught it by my grandad a very long time ago.

Good progress being made so far Graham.

Steve asks a good question about the species of Redwood we get over here. I have absolutely no idea - it just says redwood on the label when I have bought it and generally it's good quality having a little sticky sap sometimes. Any other UK woodworker know what species it is?

Thanks for commenting everyone, 

That's a great story Steve. My Grandfather was retired when I was old enough to pick up the tools properly. I recall helping him screw sheets of OSB to ceiling joist when we converted the forge into an office at our old shop. Needles to say the deamen props were more help than I was. It's really weird to see my skills (or lack of them) on video. Those Sequoia any thing like this?

2c207e1df51cf1762dd7dc72fd8eec04.jpg

Terry & Steve, I think C has given you a link to a reliable source  :). And on the knife wall, perhaps its just not that common in Joinery, more of a cabinet/patttern maker thing? Will sort the video out this evening, I'm a bit of a YouTube newbie.

Thanks for taking the time to visit the Blog C, as always your views on my content are very welcome.

TIODS, thanks for the link. I really like the image viewing up into the canopy with mist all around. Feels prehistoric.

It's a very cool place if you ever have the opportunity to visit!  You just don't realize how big those trees are until you stand next to one.

There's one tree up the road from that place that's big enough to drive a car thru.

Just a quick update, I removed my "Knife Wall" video because I had a very direct message (not from this forum) informing me that what I was showing was "dangerous, reckless and foolhardy". Although what I did came natural and I would do the same again I respect if I'm showing something that has risk attached I must think carefully before sharing it. Will do a new one soon.