British Joiners Bench

G S Haydon

The golfing wedge is nothing to do with us. Blame those pesky scots they invented the most boring sport on the planet ;)

Graham im just cambering an old stanley no4 as a scrub and it works great, i will camber the blade for my quensheng jack to use as a fore. Build on hold as i have to get cracking with the xmas presents. Im either well organised or incredibley sad to be starting the xmas builds now.

Boo Scotland Boo  :). Thought you might like this one Mkirby, makes me laugh every time.

I'm delighted to hear your just modding an old plane to act as a scrub. The new premium scrubs are lovely tools but I see no reason why good results cant be had with a modified smoother. Funny really, from a Brit perspective scrubs are rarely, if at all discussed, we seem to focus on the Jack. Does "Build on hold" mean you are throwing in towel? I understand, you did not want to risk that choke slam  :lol:. Christmas! How this year has flown.

Sam, I plan 3 x more videos for the bench build. One where I cut some dovetail halving joints, when I flatten the bench top and finally making the t&g for the shelf. I have a nice old worm eaten dirty wooden try plane I have in mind for flattening the top which should be fun. One thing is for sure I'm going to bale on the "How To". I have not documented it well enough. Doh!

i have one more board to glue to the top to get the proper width. However this board is too short and i want to have a go at a halflap, just need to find the time after that i need to get rid of the taper across the width. Im sick of my cutting gauge rolling off. After that im done.

I have week off soon so we shall see how far i get.

The golfing wedge is nothing to do with us. Blame those pesky scots they invented the most boring sport on the planet ;)

Dude, what's wrong with you?

Don't you know I am an American. 50% of Americans can't find The United States on a map. I went to Chicago public schools so I'm lucky I can even distinguish between a map and a globe.

Do you truly expect us to distinguish between Scotland, England and Whales? Heck, United Kingdom, Great Britain, its all the same to us.

Basically, you guys are all just the blue color on the Risk Game Board... That's the best we can do.

• Like 1

wdwerker you dont want to open that can of worms. Basically half of them dont want to go back the other half do and they have arguments over it. 

Also dont forget all the crown dependancies too like the falklands and st helena, then there are the odd ones like the isle of man which is not part of great Britain or the United Kingdom. Most of us cant get it right.

mkirby,

In the Introduction, Chris informs the reader you don't really need the red book.  The book is a response to those who want more options than just 2 benches he reviews from the blue book.... a less advanced book than his first I think, although I haven't read the blue one yet.  I actually gave the red book a good read today, something I never did.  

The big advantage of the red book is at the end where Chris reviews the new accessories available today.  Mostly face and end vises.  But don't run out and buy the red one, I'm a loyal customer at Barnes and Noble which is where I checked it out.   

I'd like to add that in the "Red book" Chris and other popular woodworking editors review and critique the benches they made. This is my favorite part of the book. For instance the Shaker style bench, the author states how he would improve the door and drawers if he made it again. Hindsight is always 20/20, and it is great to read this before I build.

Chris also discusses changes he made to classic designs, and also shows the bench he never made. I believe he calls it "the best bench never made". :)

My only criticism is the book is largely a reprint of Popular Woodworking articles on building the benches. Albeit with black and white photos. All in all, it is a great book. I wouldn't build a bench without at least looking through it at the book store. :)

The reason I think the red book is less advanced, compared to the blue one, is because of the work bench critiques!  

Take all the different work bench articles from Popular Woodworking mag and critique them to make them better.  

Do the changes make any of them the optimal work bench?

That's when I thought the 2 best work benches must be in the blue book.

At least that's what I gathered after giving the red one a good read.

Well a bit more progress has been made. I cut in the cross members that will add extra support to the top. It felt like working on floor joist really. I went for a dovetailed joint here. Reason being is that as long as I cut it sweet it will hold and clamp itself in place ensuring the aprons are parallel. With the aprons on I can now start using the bench too in a limited fashion. Hope to get some more time this evening to start preparing the bench stop and the vice set up.

It's rather sad to say but I'm really looking forward to making the tongue and groove boarding for the shelf. As I have dropped the concept of a "how to" I'm going to take the timber from rough stock to finished tongue and grooved board.

I did a vid of the cross member prep. Sorry about the noise in the background, there was quite a heavy shower of rain when I was filming  

http://youtu.be/LVM5oil_-JM

The concept worked, I ended up with a nice straight apron. This is important as the edge of the bench will be a reference face because there will be no vice cheek fitted to the side of the bench

post-11619-0-20110400-1379166862_thumb.j