Coarse Medium and Fine

Llama

I finally got this DVD from Lie-Nielsen with Chris Schwarz. He goes into great detail about which tools you need to do the type of work you want to do.

Chris also does a great job explaining how to use the tools for the greatest efficiency. To my surprise, Chris also touches on what we are calling the hybrid approach. He does a great job of comparing the powered tool vs the hand tool to describe which tool is the Coarse Medium and Fine tool.

In short if you don't have this DVD, you may be missing some key points on how to become a more efficient woodworker.

A more detailed review would give away most of what the DVD discusses.

I wasn't trying to be vague, but I didn't want to give away the point of his message. A spoiler, if you will :)

I will say that he uses the #5 for coarse, the #7 for medium and a #4 smoother for the fine when discussing the face of the board. He chooses these planes based on the size of the material he is working. And he does a good job of explaining why he chose these planes.

He also covers joinery, edge work and curves.

The DVD is very straightforward and any woodworker will find something new. I really wish I had this DVD when I started.

• Like 1

==> A more detailed review would give away most of what the DVD discusses.

+1

I'll just add that Chris covers prepping the irons to accomplish each task and discusses camber at some length.

To further define Chris's terminology: coarse = rapid stock removal; medium = flattening / joinery prep; fine = prep for finishing.

Note: He admits that in his shop, coarse is primarily stationary power tools...  He doesn't use a scrub plane...

A more detailed review would give away most of what the DVD discusses.

I wasn't trying to be vague, but I didn't want to give away the point of his message. A spoiler, if you will :)

I will say that he uses the #5 for coarse, the #7 for medium and a #4 smoother for the fine when discussing the face of the board. He chooses these planes based on the size of the material he is working. And he does a good job of explaining why he chose these planes.

He also covers joinery, edge work and curves.

The DVD is very straightforward and any woodworker will find something new. I really wish I had this DVD when I started.

Rumbled  :)! I was only angling toward a review similar to the review shows shown on the woodwhisperer site. 

It sound like older reference books made up to date and accessible by a very accomplished woodworker/writer. The edge work sounds interesting, rebates/rabbets, grooves and molding/moulding I assume? Dang, I need to wait for your article don't I :). Looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Rumbled :)! I was only angling toward a review similar to the review shows shown on the woodwhisperer site.

It sound like older reference books made up to date and accessible by a very accomplished woodworker/writer. The edge work sounds interesting, rebates/rabbets, grooves and molding/moulding I assume? Dang, I need to wait for your article don't I :). Looking forward to it.

If you have a specific issue/question I'd answer it for you!

• 4 weeks later...

==> That's probably part of the reason Amazon won't ship it.

Then there's NTSC/PAL -- not sure how that's handled these days -- will a PAL player auto-convert an NTSC/DV/D1 source?  Since it's an up-rev, I don't see why not... but then again, I've never lived in a PAL country...

I think the most important key to this DVD is the principle that 90% of the work is done with the coarse tool (whatever you use), 8% of the work is done with medium, and the fine is the last 2%.  This is at the heart of efficient working and when working by hand you need all the efficiency you can get unless you are in it for the cardiovascular work out.