Lets talk smoothers...

Llama

My OCD usually has alot to do with my tool buying decision making. I will say that I fell in love with the low angle jack from Lie-Nielsen. So much so that I wanted to try the smoother, and the jointer. I could not be happier with my choices. Now I have to wait for Lie-Nielsen to make more low angle planes. I have been eyeing up the jack rabbet plane, just so my OCD can rest knowing that I have all they have to offer. :)

Go low or go home. That should be your motto.

Now I have to wait for Lie-Nielsen to make more low angle planes. I have been eyeing up the jack rabbet plane, just so my OCD can rest knowing that I have all they have to offer. :)

Be cool for you is they came out with small smoother similar in size to the LV SBUS.  I generally prefer BD planes, but I LOVE the SBUS.

I've tried the LN Low Angle Jack Rabbet at a show. It's a nice plane...serves the role of a big rabbet plane, but is relatively light and controllable. They nailed the proportions on it.

Mel I'm think I'm going to buy you a Bevel down plane from Clifton or Lee Valley just to drive you crazy. I mean who can say know to a free premium tool..but having it in your shop will make you go bonkers!

Mwhahahahahahahahahahah!

(sorry, I don't know why I like giving you grief...it's all love though)

...Oh, and just to stay on topic...I'll take a bailey style No. 4 (new, old, LN, LV, Clifton, WR, don't care) as a main smoother over anything any day of the week.  I like having other things to smooth with too, but I think the Baily style 4 is just perfect.

• Like 1

Chris, 

I do have a few Stanley planes that are BD. In fact, my #5 is a darn workhorse. I have it set up with a cambered blade, and it just eats up wood! I don't really like the feel of it, but man does it make short work out of most anything I put in its way! 

Chris, 

I do have a few Stanley planes that are BD. In fact, my #5 is a darn workhorse. I have it set up with a cambered blade, and it just eats up wood! I don't really like the feel of it, but man does it make short work out of most anything I put in its way! 

They have quite different feels, and one tends to get used to one or the other. If I'm using my LA jack a lot it feels wierd when I pick up a BD plane...and when I first pickup my LA jack after using BD planes a lot if feels odd.  BU & BD planes have a completely different feel and distribution of weight, especially the larger ones.  The small BU smoother feels less different than a BD plane then other BU planes I guess because of its weight. I think that's part of why Iike it so much.

Eric, ive used both companies, which guided my decisions for the veritas joinery tools. I prefer the angled handles on the router plane, more ergonomic. Plus blade comes off the post for simple sharpening. The veritas shoulder plane is way more comfortable and looks dead sexy. Its all feel though, if mel picked up the veritas they may feel awkward to him seeing that he has used the ln for so long now.

Just curious...do you like the LN joinery planes better than Veritas, too?  I personally prefer the Veritas.  Mostly aesthetic.  I've never had my hands on a LN shoulder plane...but man they look like they'd be awkward to use.

I've held both. I honestly didn't really care for the Veritas shoulder plane. Yeah, I know a guy can get banned for saying such things... To me, short of buying the Bridge City version of the shoulder plane, I think the LN is where it's at. Yeah, I'm brand loyal... blah blah... I have the apron to prove it. :) But, really it's not one of those things I really think about. It does what I need it to do, and it does them very well.

Now, one thing I want from Veritas is that Skew Rabbet plane. That thing looks awesome! 

Eric, as usual I agree with you.

The LV medium shoulder plane should be standard issue for any woodworker.

I have a number of buddies who are LN loyalists who have the LN medium shoulder plane. All but one staunch LN guy admits that my LV is more "natural" to use. The rest are just to married to LN to get an LV, even if they admit that they find the LV more natural, comfortable and just plain (or plane) easier.

BTW - Milkshakes are food.

• Like 1

Chris, just to hijack the fun. Have you reshaped your cap iron on your woodriver? Not sure if you have a LN cap iron in your line up as well, they all come to a point which as Derek puts is they don't create a "type two" shaving. I was going to change it to more of a Stanley shape. 

Yes. I added a secondary bevel of around 50 degrees. As they come, the modern cap irons are they are too low to adequately prevent tear-out, and becasue they are not hardened steel they will crumble and chip if you don't add that secondary bevel.  It you are going to use your cap irons close to the edge to prevent tearout the secondary bevel is a must.