Rough Cut: Woodworking with Tommy Mac

Not airing in Chicago! Not liking it one bit- I have nothing to watch!

Jimmy,

I was over at the new Rough cut forum today and the posted an update of when and where the show will air. WTTW CREATE on digital will air it in Dec.

I know I cant wait.

Keith

The show is great because it shows you all of the general steps on the project. It can't be as in depth as his DVD's because of the time frame. It was cool seeing the stepstool episode compared to the dvd he made branded under MLW. I liked the trip to see an alternate way to cut dovetails.

I think the best strategy might be to watch the show on half speed. I felt like I was holding on for dear life the entire episode!

I agree, I felt like the pilot was very rushed. Tommy was literally rushing around in the shop to get things done. I felt like I wanted it to be an hour long so he could slow down, but I realize that in todays world broadcasters are absolutely not interested in one hour shows. Hopefully he'll get better as time goes on and slow down and then they can just edit it a little better as well. I remember watching some of the original New Yankee Workshop episodes and Norm was no star either. I'm sure TOmmy and his show will get beter with time. I'm really happy with the focus of the show though. Maybe he should take a tip from Marc and show a few small segments of the labor at triple speed.

Nor Seattle; at least according to my Tivo. At least I can add it to my search settings so if it suddenly pops up it'll catch it for me. I'm guessing they are starting in a few local markets to see how it goes. Of course it never hurts to send off an email to your local PBS and tell them you want it.

I emailed KCTS yesterday and heard back within the hour. They're taping the show for broadcast but don't have a schedule set yet. I added a Tivo search as well.

• 5 weeks later...

I too was a little jumpy after watching an episode of Rough Cut. Tommy talks very fast ... maybe that is because he has to ... to get his show done on time. This may be more of an issue with the producer. Russ Morash became very good at producing Norm's show in a more relaxed way. Yes, Norm still did too many things to comprehend in 25-minutes ... but the delivery was more relaxed.

My only complaint with Norm was that he didn't show the errors. In my book, there is no doubt ... Norm is the real thing. But if he is that good (and he is) he could teach a lot about what to do when "the corners don't come quite together!"

I will give Tommy some time. We need the programming!

Chester