Galoots for St. Roy

Frugal Woodguy

Japanese saws banned? I don't see the logic there. Long live the Neanderthals of Wood. Let your Stanley flag wave high and keep your hand plane arms strong.

LQQK

Well, Roy does seem to want the immersive western style woodworking hand tool experience:

The school also comes with an unusual mission and a set of rules for students.

About those rules: Underhill says students are welcome to bring their own tools, but he asks that you not bring tape measures (“I’ll confiscate them and put them in the storage room,” he says with a wicked laugh.) Also, no plastic-handled chisels. No Japanese pullsaws. “This should look like you have stepped back into a shop class in the 1930s,” he says.

“We’re going to be doing English-style joinery,” he says. “You wouldn’t build a shoji screen with a big Disston. That would be like stir-frying grits.”

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/the_woodwrights_school/

I do see his logic, but the wood for a shoji would have been initially milled using boards sawn from a log using a maebiki, which makes a Disston look like a dovetail saw by comparison. ;)

I do see his logic, but the wood for a shoji would have been initially milled using boards sawn from a log using a maebiki, which makes a Disston look like a dovetail saw by comparison. ;)

I will then be Sensei Galoot. There were Japanese Galoots too. Power to the Pull Saw.

LQQK

I was just at St. Roy's school last week with Chris Schwarz. It was an awesome experience all about sawing. Roy had to demonstrate his one armed sawing machine. It drew quite a crowd out front. Roy is a ton of fun, I hope to take more classes down there.

DSCN2653.JPG

That would be an awesome experience that I am sure you'll never forget-lucky dog! I will have to find the picture and post it but my 9yr old son built me a small version of the one armed sawing machine, without ever seeing or even knowing they existed. I guess it would be more like a one finger sawing machine being it's size and the fact that he used a short reciprocating saw blade. Don't mind me, just a proud Dad bragging.

Nate

We have 4 of these Victorian sawing machines at The Steppingstone Museum and I am slowly working to restore them to working order. Simply fascinating and such a great design.

I was just at St. Roy's school last week with Chris Schwarz. It was an awesome experience all about sawing. Roy had to demonstrate his one armed sawing machine. It drew quite a crowd out front. Roy is a ton of fun, I hope to take more classes down there.

DSCN2653.JPG

in a battle between the galoots and the normites, who would win? granted, the normites have power on their side, but I like to think that the galoots are more portable - more mobile, really - and are the guerrillas of the tool world. I think we have the agility and stealth to win, don't you think?

VIVA LA GALOOTS!!!!!!!!!!

I met St. Roy at Highland Woodworking in Atlanta awhile back. I even attempted his spring lathe. Once the pole whacked him in the head. Roy stumbled over to his shaving horse, stuffed his hat with shavings and went back to the lathe. The pole still whacking him but he was smiling now. He took me hook line and sinker. I hurt myself laughing.

• 1 month later...

What's a Niddy-Noddy you ask?

The Mrs. needed a Niddy-Noddy to take her newly spun yarn off of her spinning wheel. Lucky for me I was a half step ahead and had Roy's plans for just such a device. Unlucky for me she saw the plans for the Swift next to the Niddy-Noddy. Rats.

Viall8r

post-621-089106100 1285032929_thumb.jpg

I went to the first joinery & dovetail class weekend at his school in NC and he gave me and another guys Veritas DT saws very disparaging looks. We had a hard time convincing him that his rules only said "No Japanese tools" and "No plastic handled tools" and the Veritas violated neither of those rules :D

• 1 year later...