Nexabond Glue Up on Plywood Edges

Yaksouth

The Nexabond pamphlet shows the glue up of various solid wood joints, but the project I was on required the edge banding of solid wood strips to plywood shelves.  So I thought this would be a good test to see how Nexabond worked on these thirsty plywood edges.

I stood the shelves on edge (they were only lightly sanded as prep), and squiggled on a bead of Nexabond to this surface ONLY!  I placed the wood edging in place by hand and rubbed it around a bit to distribute the glue.  Then I taped the edging in place with painters tape and laid the shelf on two clamps to prevent contact with my work surface.

I then repeated this with the second shelf.  By the time I finished taping this piece, the first piece was cured!!  I immediately got my chisel and trimmed the banding flush.  Any glue sueeze out was easily removed by the chisel at the same time. 

The perimeter of 3 shelves (11”x 33”) were completely banded and trimmed in under 90 minutes.  Normally with my Titebond, I’ll glue up all edges on one day, and leave them clamped/taped until the next day to assure full cure.

This Nexabond was amazing giving clean, crisp glue lines with great strength!!  I’m sold!

post-14481-0-85314500-1393543574_thumb.j

post-14481-0-67878700-1393543591_thumb.j

post-14481-0-14291600-1393543601_thumb.j

post-14481-0-22732700-1393543614_thumb.j

$17 for a 4 oz bottle of the "medium" work-time version shown there. Sold at Woodcraft and likely Rockler.

I use it all the time; love it.  Gives you about 45 seconds to a minute of working time then good luck separating the parts.  It's thick-ish consistency won't wick away into end grain; I've used it mostly on end-grain. You'll have no problem pressing the parts together for a good joint.

I did an accidental experiment with Nexabond this weekend. I made an example dovetail joint and used Nexabond to glue the joint together just for speed. Ive been using CA as a clamping adhesive for 20 years and would not say its worth using as a woodworking glue alone. That being said I did use the Nexabond on this joint since it was never going to be used. I knocked the piece off the table this morning and the joint was a total fail. No wood breakage what so ever. I would call it a long open time clamping adhesive but not a primary wood glue for any joint or even HW edge edgebanding.

Don't know what was different with Particle Boards application of Nexabond above.  but I'm sitting here looking at the hardwood banding project I used it on.   I have dropped some  of the finished shelves as I moved pieces from my basement shop to upper floors, but have not seen any bond failure.  I am planning on delivering and installing this unit this weekend (after the varnish fully cures and final rub out).  Hope Nexabond continues to hold! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :D  ???

Don't know what was different with Particle Boards application of Nexabond above.  but I'm sitting here looking at the hardwood banding project I used it on.   I have dropped some  of the finished shelves as I moved pieces from my basement shop to upper floors, but have not seen any bond failure.  I am planning on delivering and installing this unit this weekend (after the varnish fully cures and final rub out).  Hope Nexabond continues to hold! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :D  ???

You just used it for edge banding. Just like normal everyday ca it's brittle. Just because it's stuck today doesn't mean it won't fall off down the road just like ca has been proven to do decades ago. If there is no wood breakage in the joints it's not a good joint and will always fail eventually.

• 4 years later...