Christmas projects

Renzo

So to follow up on the Christmas List post I started here's another....

What's everyone making for gifts this year?

I'm doing three or four end grain cutting boards. Picked up the purple heart and maple yesterday. $85 will get me three. Not bad.

I'm making checker board tables from walnut and maple flooring scraps. They have walnut legs and aprons. Also mantle candle lamps with glass chimneys. The fishing buddys are getting rod racks, or toilet tissue holders in the shape of a fishing reel.

A couple cutting boards, some jigsaw puzzle photos (scrollsaw stuff, a new venture for me). Have a few of them done, and although I messed up with some of the locking lobes, they are fun to do.

Made a small walnut box to hold a genuine Spanish hand fan that is a Christmas present for Daughter-in-law. The box is just for presentation, and was an afterthought instead of the cardboard box the fan came in, but turned out not too bad. I still have a lot to learn about woodburning, though. Her initials burned into the top are a bit off-kilter.

I'm planning on making a maple jewelry box for the wifey cut out of a solid piece on the bandsaw. That should be interesting.

Been planning on making some puzzle boxes for a while. Maybe this is the year. :-)

More a project than a gift (although my wife did ask), I'm working on a Christmas Tree riser/stand. "A wha---?" you say. A platform to raise up a Christmas tree about 1 1/2 feet to better fill the room.

About 4 years ago I threw together a octagonal platform from scrap plywood about 3 1/2 feet in diameter and 18 inches high. It elevated the tree to make room for presents (high priority) as well as let us fill a cathedral ceiling living room with a 6 foot rather than 8 foot tree. A white sheet and decorative tree skirt was sufficient to hide the rough ply.

I only had room to store it outside, meaning each year it deteriorated, and this summer I had break it down and throw it out. Now I'm thinking about the replacement I need to build in the next few weekends. The challenge now is to make it collapsible so it can fit in the attic with the Christmas decorations. I also want to use nicer materials, cleaner cuts & assembly, and a nice finish, so I don't have to hide it under a sheet. I also want to size it to support my Lego Christmas train set. =)