Bench Vise

Ben H

I'm about to start my new bench this fall as my "winter project" for me. I have a pretty good idea on how it's gonna lay out, but I'm mixed about the vise(s) that will be used.

I'm more of a power tool dude, with hopes of dusting off the old hand tools more in the future.

Got any suggestions on quality vises? Don't want cheap, cause I don't wanna buy them again. :P I was leaning to the twin vise by Lee Valley, but I'm not sold just yet...

I'm about to start my new bench this fall as my "winter project" for me. I have a pretty good idea on how it's gonna lay out, but I'm mixed about the vise(s) that will be used.

I'm more of a power tool dude, with hopes of dusting off the old hand tools more in the future.

Got any suggestions on quality vises? Don't want cheap, cause I don't wanna buy them again. :P I was leaning to the twin vise by Lee Valley, but I'm not sold just yet...

Well, I cant really answer you question, but I might be able to point you into the right direction. Fine Woodworking did a article that reviewd several bench vises. Unfortunately you will have to be a member or buy the article to view it. I can say that I just bought the Jorgensen 9" quick release bench vise. It is not installed yet but the little that I have played with it, it seems very nice. It was rated as one of the best. I too, like to but things only once.

Well, I cant really answer you question, but I might be able to point you into the right direction. Fine Woodworking did a article that reviewd several bench vises. Unfortunately you will have to be a member or buy the article to view it. I can say that I just bought the Jorgensen 9" quick release bench vise. It is not installed yet but the little that I have played with it, it seems very nice. It was rated as one of the best. I too, like to but things only once.

Hmmm...I might have to hold off on that 14 day trial and read that article. :rolleyes:

I have the Twin Screw from Veritas. It's a fine vise but I had to retro fit it to my bench. I had to saws-all part of the bench to get it to fit and I've never been 100% pleased with the way it came out. If you decide on it, it should work out a lot better for you if you build it into your plans from the get-go.

post-206-066405800 1281405611_thumb.jpg

I have the Twin Screw from Veritas. It's a fine vise but I had to retro fit it to my bench. I had to saws-all part of the bench to get it to fit and I've never been 100% pleased with the way it came out. If you decide on it, it should work out a lot better for you if you build it into your plans from the get-go.

So on the left side of the bench in the picture near the bottom, it looks like you have a hinged shelf down below. Is that for helping to support sheets or something?

Hey Rick, do you get aggravated by the lack of a "quick slide" for roughly setting the jaws open?

So on the left side of the bench in the picture near the bottom, it looks like you have a hinged shelf down below. Is that for helping to support sheets or something?

I built my bench taller than the norm to ease the stress on my back. There are times though when you need a lower bench. That shelf is to stand on. When you pick it up, two legs drop down to prop it up.

I don't have the name for the vise, but it was detailed in this plan that I've collected all the parts to build for the last 10 years. Also got one for the side on the other end.

Everything I've always read says to buy your vise and bench dogs _before_ you construct your bench... to avoid having to retrofit anything. Good advice.

Hopefully, my bench will be in the works soon, also. Because I'm a huge fan of Bud and his simplistic approach to things, I'm taking his advice and buying two of these. One for a leg vise and one for a wagon vise.

That could very well come in handy.... I'll have to put at least one of those on my list...

Sorry to open this can of worms, but the decision of which vise to use largely depends on the type of work holding you will need. You mentioned being more of a power tool guy so in my mind you will need to affix projects to the top for machining some some kind of tail vise or face vise with dog holes. Occasionally you will need a face vise to hold a board on edge for router work. Granted I am one of those hand tool freaks, but when I started out to build my bench I made lists of all the possible work holding I would need and then began to look at the various options. There is really no one perfect solution but you will find several that work really well for multiple and you can then customize the bench to meet your needs. In my opinion however, when it comes to quality of vise hardware there is no beating Benchcrafted when looking at a tail vise or leg vise. Finally, the bench construction itself should act as a vehicle for the vises. Legs flush to the top for example need only an F clamp to secure a board on edge. Without proper thought put into how the structure goes together no amount of vise technology will make for a steady workhorse of a bench.

I really like my English Record vises ... but I do not know if you can get them anymore. There is an Indian version of the Record vise that is under the name Anant. Still not cheap.

you may want to check out the link below it is for a new twin screw vice that is going to be coming out this fall.

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Video+New+Quickrelease+Twinscrew+Vise+Technology.aspx

This is what I would be seriously looking at if I was in the market, pretty pricey but looks very slick. I have 2 pretty old quick release vices and shop jigs that keep me content for now, it really depends on what you are planning on using your bench for.

Nate

Hopefully, my bench will be in the works soon, also. Because I'm a huge fan of Bud and his simplistic approach to things, I'm taking his advice and buying two of these. One for a leg vise and one for a wagon vise.

This is exactly what I did - the very same vise screws, for the very same vice configuration. leg and wagon.

As for the OP - I think it really depends on what those vises are going to be used for. certain applications call for certain vises.

This is exactly what I did - the very same vise screws, for the very same vice configuration. leg and wagon.

As for the OP - I think it really depends on what those vises are going to be used for. certain applications call for certain vises.

Sharon, I'm tired, so forgive the question....OP? What's that?

for me... woodcraft sells a really heavy duty jorgenson vise that I find to work exceptionally well...

That's the one I bought. I like it. The Indian imports needed a lot of time with a file to clean off the burs (like finger slicing burs) and I assumed if the outside was that bad...

I also recently picked up a Jet quick-release vice. Looks as good as the Jorgenson, 'cept red. For $30 new, I couldn't turn it down :) Now, to find a place to install it...

I am surprised these have not been mentioned yet.

Chris Schwarz's book on workbenches contains an excellent section on vises and what each excels at for both handtool guys and power tools guys. Do a google search for for Workbenchs: From Design and Theory to Construction and Use and get a copy before building a bench. It will make a world of difference.

I have two benches a Holtzapffle and Nicholson. The Nicholson just has a leg vise and I love it. Just bought a cheap Lee Valley screw for that.

The Holtzapffle has a wooden twin screw vise with 24" between the screws. The screws came from Big Wood Vise, which isn't taking orders at the moment. Since that is the case I would highly recommend Lake Erie Vises, they look cool with the brass plates. I also have a wagon vise ala Benchcrafted style on the Holtzapffle. The marauding bands of Genghis Khan would have trouble pulling that bench and vise from my hands.

Pictures of the benches below. I didn't have an accessible picture for the completed Holtzapffel, this one was taken just after I finished boring the dog holes.

DSCN2237.JPGDSCN2488.JPG

Josh