New Bench

JerseyG1960

Good grief... take that man a case of beer and sit with him for an hour or two... build that relationship!  Beer secures those relationships.. Go, Go...   Is the workbench going to get abuse, or is it for pretty?   Hard would be my choice, but sometimes, cost makes a difference. either will work!

It's gonna be for holding work pieces for sanding, planing, cutting dovetail, routing, etc.

It really must depend on where you're at and exactly what species it is.... I have both hard and soft maple that I bought recently from the same supplier and the difference in hardness is pretty much imperceptible. I'd go and lay hands on both then make the decision on which one to user for a bench. I'd def use the soft, nearly identical and cheaper.

Add me to the list that is going to be starting out 2015 with the Benchcrafted Roubo build. I ordered the vise hardware right before the holidays when I picked up my new table saw. I just need to finish my outfeed table before I get started (ripped all the plywood tonight. Get to start assembly on Friday). I'll be going with white ash as I happen to have quite a bit of 8/4 stock left over from remodeling my house. I'm going to do the endcap, face vise, deadman, and some other accent pieces in walnut as my old man has a bunch in his wood shed that he's trying to clear out (twist my arm...)

Really looking forward to getting it started. Unfortunately I'm going to be pretty busy with work toward the end of the month, so I don't see completion happening until late February. That might even require some luck.

Add me to the list that is going to be starting out 2015 with the Benchcrafted Roubo build. I ordered the vise hardware right before the holidays when I picked up my new table saw. I just need to finish my outfeed table before I get started (ripped all the plywood tonight. Get to start assembly on Friday). I'll be going with white ash as I happen to have quite a bit of 8/4 stock left over from remodeling my house. I'm going to do the endcap, face vise, deadman, and some other accent pieces in walnut as my old man has a bunch in his wood shed that he's trying to clear out (twist my arm...)

Really looking forward to getting it started. Unfortunately I'm going to be pretty busy with work toward the end of the month, so I don't see completion happening until late February. That might even require some luck.

I need to finish my DC ducting and build outfeed table and crosscut sled for my table saw. Then it's either Roubo or platform bed depending on how soon the wife wants her bed.

..have to at least frame out the other half of my finished basement first or else the wife might kill me, but i guess that's good motivation?

Similar problems in my life.  Why is there always something that gets in the way of the fun stuff?  Always. Something.