Dog Crate Finish

N00b-in-training

My wife decided to get the kids a dog, which is great by me! Instead of buying an ugly ass black crate, I've decided to build a crate myself. Since the crate will end up in a currently unfurnished room for now I'm going to experiment with Tropical Walnut (which looks gorgeous and is on sale via Woodworkers Source). I'm going to test out several different finish combinations but expect it to be some variation of ARS, shellac, and poly (or lacquer). Still being a noob woodworker, I'm not super creative in my finishing. 

Question: outside of the dog eating the finish off the entire crate, will it be safe for the dog? Remember, if the dog eats the finish off the crate it means he's probably eating other furniture which will lead to a certain death by my wife.

Thanks!

-jason

My understanding is most any finish is non-toxic if it has fully cured.  Wax or shellac go on food, so are safe to eat either way.  I know walnut sawdust and shavings are hazardous for horses, so while I don't know about dogs, it might be best to err on the side of caution.  I would probably put a steel cage inside a pretty wooden frame.  My in-laws have a retail dog crate like this.

Also less risk this way that the dog would partially break a wooden crate and strangle or injure themselves while you're away.  In my experience a bored crated dog will chew things that they do not chew otherwise. 

What kind of dog? My dogs don't chew the wood in the house, but outside that is another story. Stop the chewing and stuff before it starts is my best advice. I would also do the retail cage and then build around. If the dog has an accident or gets sick moving a wood cage could be difficult and could damage the finish.

Sounds high energy, build it more stout than you think necessary.  My 15mo old german shepherd managed to get out of a chain link kennel today by destroying the chain link at the bottom rail of the enclosure.  I bought the kennel because he was managing to get over the 6' wood fence.  Frustrated to say the least. 

I have a wood dog crate I built for my living room.  Nothing fancy pine that is stained and shellac'd and the top has a poly finish fully enclosed no plastic.  Its one of the first pieces of furniture I built.  I have a pseudo plan to build a replacement out of cherry towards the end of the summer.  I was thinking about just doing an oil and shellac finish.

My dog is an American Staffordshire Terrier, when determined she can chew throw just about anything.  but she hasn't done any damage to the crate save for a couple minor scratches on the inside of the door. 

I built it quite a bit bigger then needed, which I think has been a very good thing, I put an over sized dog bed in there and she can stretch out if she wants or can stand at full height.  She decided its her home, and will often go take her own nap in there.

-Ricky

Speaking of tearing up shellac...that goes for any finish.  Dogs will ruin anything and everything.  I'd go raw wood.  Pine.  Screws.  And very little effort.

My buddy spent about ten grand on a beautiful hardwood floor a couple years ago.  He has a black lab.  The floor looks like it's been there since the turn of the century.  The twentieth century.  Ruined.

The pup will be in a metal pen for a few months. After the pup has been around the house for a week or so and not shown any tendencies to eat the house down, I'm moving forward with the plan. For the first time ever I used SketchUp instead of AutoCad for my plans. After a bit of a learning curve I might kinda like it. The plans as they sit today are attached. Using this project as practice run for a few upcoming builds with lots of mortise and tenon joints.

Dog Crate.skp

If I can offer a little advice I wouldn't worry as much about the chewing beyond using the safest possible, just make sure you give the dog something better to chew on. That breed is hyper and can be destructive as anything when left alone too long. Give him/her as much time outside the crate as you can and when the dog is in the crate just make sure he/she has something  to chew on beside your hard work.  :P  Congrats on the new addiction! 

Nylabones. Plain Nylabones, not the ones with rubberized, colorful stuff. Goldendoodle destroyed three metal crates before he grew out of puppyhood. Our Dane chewed the window sills and frames in our 105 year old house. She also climbed out of a 6 foot tall metal kennel we placed in the middle of the laundry room so she wouldn't eat the woodwork. Our lab mix chewed the hurricane fencing on his 5 by 15 outdoor kennel so he could destroy the yard. Gotta love 'em. They are alive and well today - far beyond the chewing beasts they were... Good luck.

My GSD in this week alone has, escaped a 6' wood fence in the yard.  Destroyed part of the chain link fence on the kennel I bought to get out and over the fence again (Tuesday).  Pushed on the gate of the kennel hard enough to spin the latch (Wed).  Destroyed part of the chain link on his kennel gate and jumped the 6' fence to get picked up walking in the middle of a 4 lane busy road by animal control (Thurs).  And now has an electric fence charger as a babysitter.  I'll see if he is still in his kennel at lunch, fingers crossed. 

Separation can be an issue with some dogs.  Mine lived his small puppy days with other dogs, now he lives with just me and doesn't deal well with separation.  I'm hoping the electric fence takes him down a notch. 

Are you planning on using the crate when you aren't home or just when you are around?  My dog only freaks when he is alone, with people he is a great dog that is well behaved. 

Ricky, I'd like to see a pic of yours if you get a chance

This was my first attempt at making furniture, and really I just didn't want a plastic crate in my living room.  At the time the only tools I had were basically a miter saw and a drill.  In researching how to build it is actually how I found The Wood Whisperer and started down this rabbit hole.  Its three years old and I really want to build a replacement, though structurally it very solid still.

Its assembled using pocket screws and is just a box, but it looks better then a plastic crate and Fiona loves it.

I didn't put a bottom on it, at the time thinking if I need to do any clean up I can just lift it straight up. It sits on a carpet rug and has a plastic tray inside (one that goes in  normal dog crates), again thinking about clean up, thankfully we've never had any need for it.

post-15400-0-52325100-1433438765_thumb.j

My Previous Amstaff had anxiety issues, she ate her way through three different bedroom doors in my old house and nearly dug her way through the dry wall and siding, and could chew through practically anything.  I wouldn't put a high anxiety dog in a wooden crate. 

My choices in how to build it were all predicated on my previous experience with Amstaff's in that anything I build with wood could be completely destroyed.

My current Amstaff is as chill as can be and hasn't even hardly scratched her crate after three years.

I'm about to start training a new puppy, and I've been thinking about this a bit.  I've tried to not use the crate as punishment, in the attempt to keep the crate Fiona's home and somewhere she feels comfortable.

• Like 2

I'd go with a BLO/Shellac mix.  I only say this because it is non-toxic, and really makes walnut euphoric.  I usually do the standard 1:1:1 mix of BLO, Shellac, and Denatured alcohol.  I would concur with most others.  No finish on the inside will hold up, so I'd use something you can easily touch up as needed.  Run a beeswax over the top when you are done to make an messes, wipe up each.  I normally just use furniture wax, but I don't think that is 100% edible.

I wouldn't over think it though. Your dog will eat things you can't imagine, and it'll barely phase them.