Courteous times to use power tools

My home sits on a heavily inclined street. My neighbors pad is about half way up my roof, the other neighbor sits about 14' below me. I have talked to both of them and neither ever hear my tools going. The guy above me plays video games online until about 3 am anyways. They also both have my cell number just in case.

When I was forest renovating my house after buying it, I was laying hardwood flooring at about 12 am cutting it in the living room. . From outside the house, you could barely hear the mitre saw from the street so I felt fine working.

I hear more than my neighbors. They all air condition. That also plays a part.

Wait...you don't have AC? :huh:

- To OP -

What is this "courteous" you speak of?  This is America...we only think about ourselves, remember? B)

Kidding aside, I'm in the unfortunate (fortunate?) position of having crappy neighbors.

On one side lives a family of gluttonous slobs.  The only time I see them is when they wobble out of their house and pile into their tiny cars.  Or at long last, well overdue, the patriarch pig takes his poor, laboring riding lawnmower around his yard, sagging and leaning vicariously under his immense weight.  Aside from having to pick up some of the fast food trash that blows out of their overstuffed dumpster now and then, I don't even acknowledge their existence.

On the other side lives a cranky old crosspatch who hibernates in his basement and only comes out to get his mail.  He once called the police on me for parking my trailer in front of his house for 24 hours while we had a birthday party for my then one-year-old daughter.  Since that day, he is of no concern to me.

To summarize...screw neighbors, I do what I want.

Even if I did give a crap, I can't imagine my shop makes THAT much noise when the doors and windows are closed.  Perhaps if the house next door had a bedroom perched right next to my garage.  Even then, anyone who doesn't sleep with a screaming box fan...well, I don't know how you sleep without a screaming box fan.  I can't get a wink in a dead silent room.

Yeah, I'm the problem. :rolleyes:

Hey, if you're not a disgusting slob or a crabby old jackass, we'd get along just fine. ;)

I have very little tolerance for useless people. Sue me.

I was just screwing with ya man, don't go and get all sensitive on me now :D

I'm the crabby old neighbor.

My neighbor just took off on his especially loud motorcycle at 7:45 AM this Sunday morning.

Guess he was just making sure everyone was up in time for Church today.

I didn't really care, I've been up since 6:00 and I don't say anything to anyone about noise in the "hood" anyway.

We all have own space and hobbies but when he makes smart comments about how neat my yard is, I do get a bit peeved because I make sure not to run my lawnmower before 9:00 AM or after 5:00 PM on Saturdays.

Rog

==>^^^ I meant that in a good way... Canadians are generally not as inconsiderate as we Americans... And besides, I’m married to a nice girl from Montreal... :)

Montreal! Sweet! We probably know each other. There are only 36 of us up here.....living in igloos, apologizing for things we shouldnt....eh!
  • Like 1

My grandfather always taught me not to mow before 9AM on the weekends...

That being said I would approach the neighbor and explain your concern & desire to ensure you are not disturbing them or inconvienencing them. If you don't want to deal with them directly, leave a note in their door with your number, perhaps ask them to text you when you are using your tools and it's bothering them. That worked out well for me with music in my old apartment.