Keeping rust away

N00b-in-training

A year+ ago we relocated to humid middle TN and now that my garage shop is up and running I can't keep the rust away. I'm having to use T-9 Rust Free and Bostik GlideCote about once a week. I've also tried Renaissance wax after GlideCote. Is this just the life I'm going to live or does anyone have other suggestions?

Thx. How often to use use it?

I spritz and wipe after using a tool. Other than that, the stuff will last a long time between uses. Ive been out of my shop for months now and all my stationary tools are rust free as well as all my planes saws and chisels. The stuff is great.

3-36 comes in two grades: Multi-purpose and Technical Grade. I've used Technical Grade in the shop your years -- it's plastic safe and a bit less residue then Multipurpose.

I also use Multi-purpose -- it's stronger, but I keep it away from plastics... I tend to use it for DIY...

Recently, I've switched from the aerosol 3-36 to liquid. I purchased some cheap pump-spray bottles and just fill them. Much more efficient way to use the product -- I also like the liquid version because you can control the application in a wood-shop and not risk getting it all over everything... You can get a gal of liquid for about the same price as 3 or 4 rattle cans -- so way cheaper...

Another great product from CRC is their dry-moly-lube... Just about the best for trunnion gears, chain-driven-router-lifts, etc... Note: it's a great lubricant, but messy as Hell and stains badly... I usually spray it on an some sort of applicator and use that to apply the lube... The thing about dry-moly, it handles sawdust better than things like lithium grease...

Outdoors is a bit different.. For items like the snow-blower, I use Kel-132 -- it's an industrial product that's basically light-grade-cosmoline in a spray can... Way too messy for the shop, but it sure works...

For the marine environment, it's CorrosionX. Like all things nautical, it's expensive but it works very well... Too messy for the shop, but if you've got a boat engine that needs some work, that's the ticket... It is an outstanding product...

I use crc 336. I spray my cast iron down, then wipe with a paper towel so there is an even coat on top. I let it sit on there for about 20 minutes, then wipe vigorously until any residue is gone. After about an hour I put a coat of butcher's wax on and let it sit for 5 minutes before buffing the wax off. I have no rust on my cast iron. I do this monthly with great success. It takes a while, but it's worth it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I use crc 336. I spray my cast iron down, then wipe with a paper towel so there is an even coat on top. I let it sit on there for about 20 minutes, then wipe vigorously until any residue is gone. After about an hour I put a coat of butcher's wax on and let it sit for 5 minutes before buffing the wax off. I have no rust on my cast iron. I do this monthly with great success. It takes a while, but it's worth it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Way way too much effort for the same results, but ya got spirit kid!

Just get yourself crc 3-36 and be done with it. Dont waste your time with other products and waxes. I havent had a problem with rust in a very long time and my shop was 85% rh last week.

I was using many different things here in coastal SC - typically 90s for the temp AND the humidity levels.  If I kept applying the

CRC 3-36, It was ok but I got ticked off one day and cleaned the TS good and sprayed the 3-36 all over the top LIBERALLY. I walked away and let it dry for about a week to a sticky consistency. Then, I sprayed it again and it dissolved the sticky and I wiped it down good with dry shop towels.  That's been 3 or 4 months ago and I haven't treated it again nor have I had any rust. 

Sounds kooky but it worked. PS...no transfer to the wood either

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to everyone, first time posting on any forum, so please forgive me. I have a question about rust, and storage. I currently live in Washington State, and in the next 4-6 weeks will be moving to the Payson area of Az. Almost all of my tools (95%) will have to go into long term storage, 12 to 18 months. What should I use for my table saw, jointer, & band saw tables to keep the rust away, and also be able to put boxes and other items on the surfaces to condense storage??

Hello to everyone, first time posting on any forum, so please forgive me. I have a question about rust, and storage. I currently live in Washington State, and in the next 4-6 weeks will be moving to the Payson area of Az. Almost all of my tools (95%) will have to go into long term storage, 12 to 18 months. What should I use for my table saw, jointer, & band saw tables to keep the rust away, and also be able to put boxes and other items on the surfaces to condense storage??

I would put a nice thick coat of t9 boeshield. Let it dry and hit it again.