New AC for the shop. . Think again.

Brendon_t

For Father's day, I bought myself an LG self contained 12'000 btu AC unit specifically for the garage. Life got in the way so I hasn't installed it yet.

Monday, I returned home from a 2 day fishing trip to find that my lovely wife, had dragged that heavy a$$ box upstairs, and set it up in our master bedroom.

We have 18 foot ceilings and yes it gets super hot up there but come on. ..

Brendon, I never in a million years would have told that story!

You've got life by the yang yang and you're griping? How many guys here would kill for a wife that can install an a/c while their husband is off fishing, even if it is in the wrong location :D

I just would like to be able to go fishing.

• Like 1

Yeah, I married a girl that would never steal my gift. Initiative on her part looks like a garage sale, followed by a purchase of the same model AC (an attempt at trusting judgement.). I am not sure I could trust someone who just helped themself to my purchase without conversation. Seems off to me. Oh well, takes all types.

What's this unit look like? Can you send a link. Our new house garage doesn't have windows. My wife has a very heavy AC unit her brother gave her before we got married that you duct out of a window but not the whole window.

Would my unit work in the garage ducting it under the door???

That's my plan. If I ever get it back. I'll proabably make a little through wall box out of ply that the duct will fit on the inside and a small gravity closing shuttered vent cover for the outside. A friend down the road ducted his ac unit outside without a closing vent and a group of wasps decided to build up a nest in the tube.. not my cup of tea.

That's my plan. If I ever get it back. I'll proabably make a little through wall box out of ply that the duct will fit on the inside and a small gravity closing shuttered vent cover for the outside. A friend down the road ducted his ac unit outside without a closing vent and a group of wasps decided to build up a nest in the tube.. not my cup of tea.

Just get another one, I bet the fishing trip cost as much as that unit, it would me anyway, I get zero paid time off and when I am not working out side I'm in some foundry some where so Im thinking if I had to choose I would rather sleep well. 

I think it is very cool the wife took the initiative to do it, not in my house…

Yeah, I guess I should have put a big sign on it saying "nacho ac"...

I've gotta say, I was a bit surprised. She found these paper things inside the box and apparently, when you read those papers, they tell you how to do things.

She ducted it out the window, installed the insulation tape and installed a latch to secure the window closed. .

She's screwed next time she says I need to change a light bulb. . Ha ha. Gotcha..

I don't want to bring it up and am surprised no one else has. Are you sure she didn't have some help installing it. You know when the cats away! :rolleyes:

I don't want to bring it up and am surprised no one else has. Are you sure she didn't have some help installing it. You know when the cats away! :rolleyes:

Haha don't think I didn't go there.. And being that the hose keeps falling out due to it being improperly attached and the plastic piece it fits into is loose within the opening, I'm pretty sure my spot as head tinkerer is safe.