parallel clamps... ouch!

bob493

the problem is clamping a 24" x 14" x .25" piece. I need surface area, not pressure so much. 

Side by side, like a book match or face to face, like creating a thicker work piece? 

If you need surface area, parallels will give you the most, but I would argue still not adequate depending on your glue up.  If its side to side (creating wider piece) you just need to use calls.  The clamp isn't going to make a difference.  Do your best to get whatever clamping pressure you can directly over the joint.  In the end, that should create a well matched joint.  

sounds like you just need to cut a bunch of 5"x 5" pieces to evenly distribute clamping force.

Ive tried that, it still "pulls" and causes some bowing, even if I clamp the ends of the joint, theres some bowing in the middle. I typically get some wax paper and clamp a 1x3 piece of iron wood down the middle. Right tool for the job is basically what Im going for here.   

Side by side, like a book match or face to face, like creating a thicker work piece? 

If you need surface area, parallels will give you the most, but I would argue still not adequate depending on your glue up.  If its side to side (creating wider piece) you just need to use calls.  The clamp isn't going to make a difference.  Do your best to get whatever clamping pressure you can directly over the joint.  In the end, that should create a well matched joint.  

book matching. A face to face would be no sweat with any clamp really haha.  People way more experienced than myself told me I'd be best to get some parallel clamps for the length of the faces alone and ability to keep the pieces from bowing even a little bit. 

If I understand your post, I have seen plans in magazines for panel clamps. You glue a couple of pieces of 3/4" plywood for a base and also for the top. You use a small hydraulic jack or a heavy screw to create a press like device. I think I saw the plans in a Woodsmith or Shopsmith issue. It will create pressure in the center and evenly disperse the pressure out to the edges. 

I don't think that is what he means by cauls. I'm about to go make 3 sets of cauls myself. I'm taking 6 pieces of 2x4, will give them a curve on one side (going to mark down 1/8" on the ends, draw curve to center and sand it down) and then I'll drill holes through the edges all the way and am going to use 1/2" bolts that I will tighten. You can use clamps, I'm opting for this to save clamps.