Another Shop Tour

..Kev

my youngest is a junior at montana state in bozeman,  i have found some job opportunities there but it is about 2 hours from our property. jobs in billings, great falls etc, but not actually in our town.  I am probably going to be chained to illinois for another few years pending a partial sale of our business, but who knows.

A great shop Kev. Won't your bench be totally new apart from hardware? Redesigned carcass and new top sound like that same old broom I've had for 50 years (only had 30 new brush heads and ten new handles in that time :) - but still the same broom) 

I'll be keeping the base (just redesigned storage stuff) as well but, yea, pretty much a completely new bench.  Legs and bottom rails will be the only original parts.

What a great looking space.  Nice and neat and clean.....was that staged for the photos?...lol

No, I usually keep my shop pretty clean with things put away.  Just makes the work go better.  I will admit that it's not usually that clean mid project tho.

• Like 1

Kev, I was scrutinizing your shop to see if I could borrow any ideas and I noticed your push stick. Yours, like mine, has come in contact with the blade a couple of times. When mine get too nibbled, I will glue another 2-3" to the bottom and re-cut the notch at the back. How do you treat yours when it gets too worn to use.

Ironically, I bought a GRR-Ipper bush block a year or so ago and it's never been out of the box!

so jealous, i do almost everything ON my table saw.  when i need to i lower the blade remove the fence and throw on an old countertop that has a whole in it for my router table.  i throw a piece of 3/16 hardboard from the back of an old piece of furniture on top of this when i am gluing and finishing.

Been there, like you, I'm still doing it that way!   Sucks!!!

• Like 1

Kev, I was scrutinizing your shop to see if I could borrow any ideas and I noticed your push stick. Yours, like mine, has come in contact with the blade a couple of times. When mine get too nibbled, I will glue another 2-3" to the bottom and re-cut the notch at the back. How do you treat yours when it gets too worn to use.

Ironically, I bought a GRR-Ipper bush block a year or so ago and it's never been out of the box!

I usually epoxy a new block on the bottom.  I have a couple of them and when they're both buggered up then I replace the blocks.  Typically, I only replace the blocks.

I use my Gripper for small stuff but, don't use it that often either.

Edited by TIODS

A great shop Kev. Won't your bench be totally new apart from hardware? Redesigned carcass and new top sound like that same old broom I've had for 50 years (only had 30 new brush heads and ten new handles in that time :) - but still the same broom) 

Nice Only Fools and Horses reference there, Terry!  Now can you find a way to work the two ronnies "fork handles" into one of these conversations next?

• Like 1