moving Centauro 600 bandsaw

Tom King

It was on a dolly with small castors.  The dolly is out of the picture.  It has those heavy duty leveling castors with the height wheel and big rubber pads to let it down onto.

I nosed the truck up to a light pole 150 feet away on the paved parking lot.  The rope for the Maasdam rope puller was tied to the pole about 14 feet up.  I had taken the tailgate off before I left home because I was afraid it would get bent from the weight of the bandsaw.  The table height was just right to back the truck up to it, take the bolts out, and slide it right into the bed on flat 2x4s. 

For cushioning, and slide, I wrapped a 4" foam moving mattress with a blue tarp.  The rope puller eased it right into the bed while the seller kept it from leaning the wrong way.  I had placed a couple of tires on the side with the motor to keep it from hitting the truck hard, but it wasn't hard for Johnny to keep it upright.  The mattress didn't slide at all, so I used the aluminum floor jack I brought to lift the bottom (now back) end up with a 2x4 I cut to the right length, and we slid the mattress back out.

All in all, it went easier than I had expected.  The hard part was pushing it across the parking lot, but the seller and a friend of his did that while I rigged up the rope puller.  It was pretty effortless for me.  The seller turned out to be a great guy.  The saw weighs 6 or 7 hundred pounds, but the balance point was near the edge of the bed, and it eases right over from the pull of the rope.  Rope is 7,000 lb. capacity.

I paid $600 for the saw.  It needs new bearings and a few replacement parts to the Carter upgraded guides.  Carter sells parts individually. It really only needs the top wheel bearing, but I'm going to go ahead and replace both of them since one has some slop in it.   I'll replace the 3 phase motor with a 5hp Baldor single phase. Other than that, it's in fine shape.  I had originally thought to use a VFD, but we're going to run it all day long for a few days, and I'd rather trust a motor to operate than electronics under those conditions.  It came with three blades that are in decent shape.

I straightened it up with the mattress out from under it to tie it down, but that was the only picture I took. 

The trip was 311 miles one way, but almost all on I95, and wasn't too bad. I stayed the first night at a friend's house a hundred miles from the saw.  It made it back home safely.  I'll unload it with the front end loader.  I intend to weld a lifting eye on it to move around with the tractor.

bandsawontrucksmall.jpg

Edited by Tom King

On closer examination today, it doesn't need bearings.  It just needed some adjustment and lubrication.  What I thought was slop in the top wheel bearing while it was on the truck was just out of adjustment ways on the top wheel slide mechanism for tensioning the blade.  An important bolt was missing from the lower guide setup, but it was in the bottom of the cabinet.  Two of the three blades are even useable for what we'll be doing.

After talking to some experts, I decided to try a VFD first.  Evidently, this is a really good motor that's on it, and the VFD is a third the cost of a new motor.  I ordered a VFD next size up from minimum, so hopefully it will be robust enough to last.

Edited by Tom King
  • Like 1

I carried enough 2x4s thinking I might have to load it by myself and build something to keep it from tipping one way or the other, not being sure if the tires would mark the sides of it.  Fortunately, the seller was a really nice guy, and helped steady it.

That rope puller is a handy thing.  It works like a come-along, but is only limited in length of pull by the length of rope.  We ended up using it to get it back upright in the shop.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Rope-Puller-1204#.VfnTAOktCUk

You need a good three-strand 1/2" rope to work in it though:  http://www.sherrilltree.com/Tree-Master-Rope#.VfnTxuktCUk

Edited by Tom King

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to getting this saw going today.  The guy I bought it from doesn't post here, but does on another woodworking forums, so I'll tell what was wrong with it here.  I bought this saw on ebay for $600, with no one else bidding on it.  The seller was very honest and said it needed new guides.  The top guide is fine-Carter 20-just nowhere near the right position for any blade.  The lower stock guide was trashed. A blade was balled up inside the machine but hadn't hurt anything.

I had bought new tires, and a lower guide a while back but we didn't need the saw until now.  I got a Carter 20 offset for the new lower guide even though Carter said it wouldn't fit.  It wouldn't fit out of the box, but by shortening the shaft the thrust bearing is mounted on, and elongating the hole in the mounting rod bracket, it works just fine.

I got the guide setup milled to fit, and started putting in the bolt that was holding on the old lower guide.  I was puzzled why there were a couple of cheap washers behind the bracket on the bolt that the original guide was held on with.  I looked at the bolt, and the threads were messed up to the point that you couldn't screw it into the well made "nut" welded to the machine far enough to pull anything up tight.  This was the total "problem" with this saw.  A ten minute run to our Ace Hardware found the required 8mm-1.25 bolt for 55 cents.  It pulled the new Carter guide right up tight like it needed to be with no hitch in the threads.

The new tires were as easy to put on as on a Delta 14".  They have a tongue that fits in a groove.  I heated them a little with a heat gun, and they went right on.

I ran one of the old blades on it first in case something went haywire.  I didn't want to risk the new Woodmaster CT 1.3T.  It ran as smooth as any woodworking machine I've ever seen. 

We'll start slicing wood with it next week.

Edited by Tom King

• 2 months later...

Tom,

I purchased the same saw this year.  Mine was a bit closer, but we paid about the same and both saws seem to be in about the same condition.  I have the manual which I obtained from an Italian speaking woodworking friend, and I am working on getting some old parts.  Do you know the year on yours?  For some reason, mine has a monochrome paint scheme, all olive drab.  I spent a bit to find a cast iron fence, but for now I don't have my RPC wired up in the garage to get this machine working.

If you want a copy of the manual, let me know.

Andy

Centauro.jpg

I don't know the year.  Minimax parts fit just fine.  I bought a lower guide from Carter to replace the trashed guideon my saw.  I did have to do some modifying of it to get it to work, but the saw cuts like a dream now.  To resaw a 4/4 24" long Cypress board into two shingles takes about three seconds without pushing it hard.

I didn't try to put the longest blade possible on it, but ordered one in the middle of the listed range at 14' 10".  I won't ever order any other length blade.  I think the guy I bought it from had tried to run a blade too long for it.

I bought a Quanchang VFD off ebay, and the motor never gets warm.

Here's a link where you can get parts and manuals:  http://www.scmgroupna.com/en/service/spare-parts

I printed out the manual, and called with the part numbers for things I needed-like the tires.  They're pleasant folks to deal with on the phone, and parts came second day with regular shipping.  I think the only thing I got from them were the tires.  Centauro makes SCM, Minimax, Felder, Hammer, and probably some other brands of bandsaws, and parts are pretty interchangable.  About the only difference in the Minimax is the spine height, so they could win the resaw height wars, and the table trunnions have been updated.

The folks at Carter are good to deal with on the phone too.  They might refer you back to me if there are questions about the lower guide assembly.

something funny about the link I posted earlier.  try this one:   https://www.partspronto.com/

or specifically: https://www.partspronto.com/MachineDocs/SP%20SERIES%20BAND%20SAW%20CENTAURO.pdf

When I talked to the parts guy, I think they're in Georgia, to order the tires, he said they probably had all the parts in stock.

More stuff I thought about.  I bought a 2hp Grizzly dust collecter off Craigslist to dedicate to this machine.  It does okay, but when I get around to it, I'm going to add another 4" inlet in the lower left hand corner of the bottom door.  With cost of saw, improvements, Woodmaster blade, and dedicated DC, I now have $1460 in this bad assed rig, not including a weekend trip to get the saw.