Holdfast holes in split-top Roubo

morganew

Those of you who read popular woodworking's blog may have seen Chris Schwarz's article on where he puts his holes.  

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/holdfast-holes-where-should-they-be-located

Unfortunately, his layout doesn't quite work with the TWW Split-top.  So I am wondering:  what pattern did you use?  did you have a pattern at all?  how do you like your hole placement?

(I am leaving all various and sundry hole jokes to the imagination of the reader)

I followed the BC plan, but added a few additional as I gained experience with the work holding 'flow' of the Roubo. I think I added a total of three additional holes to the BC plan -- basically to secure a plane stop st the leg-vise end and a second in-line hole at the wagon vice end. I forget where the third went, but it addressed a coverage gap in the center field...

Note: I use Veritas clamping holdfasts: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=31149&cat=1,41637   which have wider coverage than the Gramercy (specified in the build). I suspect if I used the Gramercy, I'd have needed one or two additional holes.

My top is a full 4", so I counterbored a 1" hole 1" deep in the bottom with a forstner bit. I used the Veritas bench drilling jig for alignment: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,41637&p=72602 with a 3/4 auger bit...

I used Veritas bench anchors: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=59754&cat=1,41637 for my plane stops and other surface jigs...

Edited by hhh

My advice --

Work with a bench for awhile to get a feel for your workflow before turning the top into Swiss cheese... You don't really need that many holes...

The BC plan is pretty good, but the holes assume a couple of specific bench accessories... Ahhh, now I remember, the [third] extra hole was in the front slab to support a carving vice -- I use the Veritas carving vice that attaches from below the bench with a through dog hole...

All three of my extra holes are in the front slab:

6 1/4 from left edge, 3" from gap (plane stop)

19" from right edge, 3 1/2 from gap (balances surface holding on right side of bench)

The last hole is based on the requirements of my carving vice, so it's location is not important.

Yup. It's all about leverage... You don't have to torque down on the knob at all to impart a good deal of downward pressure at the stock-end. I've tried several brands of holdfast (include some hand forged ones) and these work a lot better. To get the same holding with minimal knob pressure, I'd have to whack the sh*t out of the holdfasts...

BTW: I usually contact-cement a pad of leather on holdfasts to protect the stock...

our posts crossed in the wind.  My earlier response was to wtnhighlander :)

Good to know that the BC plans are working for you.  

My bench is only 60" x 22", and I use 4 holes, 2 on each side, about 3" from the edge and spaced at 20" from each end. Since I own a wopping 1 holdfast, I have a couple of round pegs that drop into other holes to act as stops.

Yup. It's all about leverage... You don't have to torque down on the knob at all to impart a good deal of downward pressure at the stock-end. I've tried several brands of holdfast (include some hand forged ones) and these work a lot better. To get the same holding with minimal knob pressure, I'd have to whack the sh*t out of the holdfasts...

BTW: I usually contact-cement a pad of leather on holdfasts to protect the stock...

Getting a LV order ready, will include a pair of those... with the short posts... and also the drill guide.