Must splines be made?

Paul Edgar

The same pitch router bit is best used but you can also get by with cutting the actual dovetail splines  on the ts if you must.

i use splines pretty often.  It looks neat to be  able to vary the spline width. I use thickest on the bottom, one thinner one then a single kerf at the top. Gives visual weight to the box.

Edited by Brendon_t
  • Like 2

I have cut the filer dove tail splines by ripping on the table saw.

You must tilt the blade to the same angle as the router bit. Sometimes it's 7 degrees for example and you probably will have to try several times to get the exact width. It isn't easy but it usually doesn't take much material because they will be trimmed to short lengths if you install them one at a time.

They sure look sharp when you do them though!

Cherryandpoplarboxes002_zps57221974.jpg

Rog

Plus one for the router bit.  Cut your dovetails on the router table with your box in a carriage jig.  

Then 2 passes on a long strip with the same bit until you dial it in.   Lots and lots of test strips until you get the fit.  

Pick up Gary Rogowski's big book of Joinery.  He has about 2 or 3 ways to make   dovetail mitre keys.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...