Usernames

WoodDoesntTalkBack

Just my first name. People usually assume its first and last, but no.

So Wood Servant, does this mean you'll have a TGV screaming past your place a couple times a day? Guess it depends on how close the neighbors are.

Sadly yes. Originally it was 700metres away but for some reason known only to Paris they moved it to just over 250metres. But, they have applied for up to one hundred trains per day!! However, they don't have that many trains in existence, it is apparently a clever ploy. If they ask for and get approval for 100, they can run ten a day for ever but if they suddenly need or can find fifty they do not have to go through another public enquiry they can just do it. It is supposed to save eleven minutes from Paris to Bordeaux originally there were no stations between but, some bright spark pointed out just how stupid that was so now they will have three station in between. The scheme was first muted way back in 1981. When we arrived in 2000 we were told the scheme had been cancelled because even if they could run 100 completely full trains every twenty four hours it would take 110 years to recoup the costs. Not sure what's changed since. But, you know how it is Progress. We see two maybe three tractors a week here and two cars that belong to us, and our dear Postie of course. C'est La Vie

mine is just my first name, and the last is my rebellion against the lack of privacy online anymore by using Nunya as a last name as in "Nunya business" seems like everything you sign up for anymore is one step away from asking for a DNA sample then they just sell your info to stupid advertising company's and you get your email box explode with spam about pills to enlarge my junk :lol: .

I am with you on this one. I have been known to give my name as Nunya Bizniz.

On here it is my real name. What it means translated from German is Charles Farmer.

My screen name was given to me by a former customer who hosts a fishing/hunting show, "O'Neill Outside". I think it shows on FSN but can't be sure, maybe one of the other outdoor networks...

I was working as the superintendent for a custom-home builder in North Georgia when we contracted to finish O'Neill's "cabin". After the first couple of weeks on the job, he started calling me BuilderBill. After a few days of this I politely let him know I was just the superintendent, I only worked for the builder. He replied that he only heard from the "real" builder when he wanted money but I was calling him every day and on the job anytime he came by so, as far as he was concerned, I was the builder so he was gonna call me BuilderBill whether I liked it or not..... :rolleyes:

As is sometimes the case in work like that, I became good friends with both O'Neill and his wife Gail and still talk with them and visit occasionally. It's been almost ten years since I worked with them but they were the rare kind of customers you want to remember, great people and wonderful to know and work with. The others you try hard to forget....

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heres one. My original last name started with a B or something. My grandpa, my dads father, lived in italy. His family was very wealthy. As a baby, he was kidnapped and held for ransom. Being so dangerous for the family there, they got on a boat and came to america. At Ellis island, they changed their last name. Pretty original, right? Thats how my last name came to be. I was told this in 4th grade when I had to do a family tree project. I actually laughed when I heard it.

• 3 weeks later...

Heres one. My original last name started with a B or something. My grandpa, my dads father, lived in italy. His family was very wealthy. As a baby, he was kidnapped and held for ransom. Being so dangerous for the family there, they got on a boat and came to america. At Ellis island, they changed their last name. Pretty original, right? Thats how my last name came to be. I was told this in 4th grade when I had to do a family tree project. I actually laughed when I heard it.

Ha ha, I have a similar name-change story, but with less pasta.

Many generations ago, my family moved from France to Canada. The family name was Payen. They landed in eastern Canada, but there was some band of marauding horse thieves called the Payen Brothers stirrin' it up in the saloons and taking the horses. It was in my family's best interests to move further inland to Manitoba (this place competes with Antarctica by the way...) and change their name to the name of the region from where they came from.

At least that's what I was told and I think it rocks.

• 1 month later...

I got my nick name about 30 years ago when I was racing "Enduro Go-Karts" and started winning races.

My name is Roger and I seem to do things in a very short time.....Not good, but quickly. Even my wood working friends wonder how I seem to finish a project so fast.

The secret is....plan ahead for the next corner before you get to it. :)

The name of my shop is "Outside The Lines" because I seldom do things within the framework of the box known as "plans" or like everyone else does it. :)

Rog