Jointer Around $1000 Worth Having?

sheperd80

I try not to start a new thread every time i have a question but ive been debating this forever and need some WTO wisdom. Ive been eyeballing jointers for years, and never bought one for various reasons, mainly cost vs need. Currently i do all my pre-milling with handplanes and have become fairly adept at it i think. I dont mind it on smaller projects but when it comes to bigger stuff...well, you know.

Im a hobbyist primarily, but do sell small things occaisionally and hope to sell more substantial furniture in the future. I make tons of small projects for home and relatives but these are growing as well. A buffet cabinet, dining table, bed, etc are in my future. However i'll never be a full-time production shop. Based on my current and projected future needs I see it like this...

A benchtop 6" jointer will probably handle almost 50% of my needs.

A standing 6" with longer beds will probably cover 70%.

A standing 8" 220v will likely handle almost 90%.

A hanplane covers 100%, but i dont relish the idea of hand-jointing 8' rails of 8/4 hardwood.

So based on that outlook and a budget of around 1000, where would your money go? Or save for a more worthwhile unit?

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Look for an older Rockwell/Delta or Powermatic something along that line in minimum 8 inch or even better 12 inch models. I picked up a older Rockwell/Delta a few years ago now from craigs list for 350.00 and haven't had any problems with it at all. They are out there you just have to keep an eye out............ That way you have some of that grand you wanted to pay for a new one in your pocket for a rainy day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Gary

I own several, and have owned more.  I've never bought a new one, and don't really understand why anyone does.  Their availability on Craigslist varies by the week, but if you keep checking, you should be able to find a good deal.  A jointer is one of those things where bigger is always better.

Yep, sound like a broken record when these discussions come up, but i went used for all 3 of my jointer purchases. Didn't regret it at any point other than moving some heavy pieces of metal. They are such simple machines that you don't have much for you to check during the pre-purchase inspection. $1000 should easily get you an 8" Dj-20 or powermatic. Chances are they won't have a helical head, but you can always do that yourself later on, or change knives like the rest of us. I stretch it to two times a year and it's not a terrible endeavor. Bed length and capacity for 90% of your projects, go 8. 

23 hours ago, Mike. said:

Maybe the guys that shop for older machines can give so rules of thumb on what to avoid.  

I wish!  When I find a used one and ask about whether "this one is a good brand" I get answers that are not consistent with the question.  I'd live to know or have a list of something like:

• All Rockwell Delta jointers were good
  • Craftsman before 1968 was good
  • etc.

I know it's subjective but I don;t even know what I don't know.

Maybe the guys that shop for older machines can give so rules of thumb on what to avoid.  

I wish!  When I find a used one and ask about whether "this one is a good brand" I get answers that are not consistent with the question.  I'd live to know or have a list of something like:

• All Rockwell Delta jointers were good
  • Craftsman before 1968 was good
  • etc.
I know it's subjective but I don;t even know what I don't know.

Yeah that information would be helpful. Im not opposed to fixing up an old machine if i found the right deal. The problem is i just dont know what a good deal is. Ive been watching craigslist for some time and have only found ancient 3 phase machines which is not an option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk