Projects 2014-2015

Chestnut

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. If any one has any ideas to help me improve throw it out.

@atlinwi202 Do it they are a simple box with a hole in it. Parts Express is where i get all the components. They list all the info you need. For ported enclosures just google speaker port design. If you have questions feel free to ask me.

@wtnhighlander I think the top was actually Pecan. My dealer sells all the hickories together, and that top was noticeably softer than the rest of the wood. The board i made it from was 13.5" wide, I cut maybe 1/2" off each side ( the outsides) that was sapwood.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. If any one has any ideas to help me improve throw it out.

@atlinwi202 Do it they are a simple box with a hole in it. Parts Express is where i get all the components. They list all the info you need. For ported enclosures just google speaker port design. If you have questions feel free to ask me.

@wtnhighlander I think the top was actually Pecan. My dealer sells all the hickories together, and that top was noticeably softer than the rest of the wood. The board i made it from was 13.5" wide, I cut maybe 1/2" off each side ( the outsides) that was sapwood.

Love the speaker boxes. The only advice i can offer is when it comes to building furniture, perhaps try building a few pieces from some premade plans. Your skill and craftsmanship are obviously on point, but design could use some inspiration. Just my 2 cents.

William Ng said something about a Greene and Greene desk that always resonated with me. "It speaks softly, but says alot". To me that meant that the beauty of the piece lies in the small subtle details complimenting an otherwise simple and smoooooth design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I was going to post a new thread for some other projects i kinda wanted to share but i figured I'd just keep adding on to this thread beings that i already have it started. This is my 3rd ever project and 1st major project. I built a table and a bookshelf before tackling this. This is the original project that i got into woodworking for. I needed furniture and didn't want to pay the absurd furniture store prices for something nice, but wanted something nice.

486661_10100192040441549_1993018916_n.jp

Any one thinking they have a small shop, this was a space that was maybe 9' by 8'. I had to decide what tool i wanted to use and would move it from the shelf to the assembly table depending on what i needed to do. Should have done a table saw instead of a miter but hindsight is 20:20.

295310_10100193468594519_1722518689_n.jp

970091_10100199611778529_462479389_n.jpg

I had to sand everything down outside and then bring the apron and legs inside to assemble because the garage space was too small and parking my car out side was NOT an option.

8651_10100211474161219_2103213073_n.jpg?

Minwax stain and i went with water based poly for looks. I wanted the dullish white look to the unstained oak.

1045177_10100222058819479_1820161017_n.j

Placed a tile in the center for a place to put hot items with out harming the wood. After putting things into practice the tile was a bad idea because i didn't glue the top and the finish can withstand more heat than i gave it credit originally. I tested it with a 500 degree pan from the oven for 30 min and no harm. It has since suffered slightly from seasonal wood movement and there are some gaps between boards very very minor. I also broke the apron and legs a couple times and need a permanent fix.

• Like 1