Anyone ordering Festool's new tool?

jussi

New to the US anyway.  I have a set vac pods that came with my vac veneer press. Much more basic compared to Festool system.  Works well so I was interested in the Festool system when I first saw it.  But I couldn't justify the cost for me.  Anyone thinking about getting one?

http://festoolusa.com/power-tools/work-tables/clamps/vac-sys-system-57000003

http://festoolusa.com/power-tools//vac-sys-system-set-57000004

I have been using vacuum clamping and veneer press for many years. Mostly homemade system. Foot valves can be had for around $60 or so and they are well worth having.  You can build wooden boxes with a laminate surface  add gasket tape and bring a hose in from below or behind.

Joe Woodworkers website has info and sells parts /kits etc. 

• Like 1

Suspect the biggest selling point will be it's color and, for Canadians, it'll come packaged in a systainer... :)

Have been using vacuum clamping for only about three years, so I'm not really that knowledgeable... But, IMHO, the ability to tilt the work piece is of dubious utility... Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't say no to tilting clamps... But the clamping pods I've got now work AOK...

• Like 1

==>when doing sculpted stuff

Was going to add carving, but had second thoughts...

Vacuum clamps hold pretty well, but I'm not sure I'd trust it for carving or shaping operations... When vacuum clamps let-go, it's kind of binary... There tends to be no 'creeping' like holdfasts -- no warning -- they just 'let go'... Which is fine for sanding operations... But I did have that happen during some edge routing -- that was exciting...

I'd have to play with them a while before carving, shaping, sculpting, etc...

9 minutes ago, hhh said:

==>when doing sculpted stuff

Was going to add carving, but had second thoughts...

Vacuum clamps hold pretty well, but I'm not sure I'd trust it for carving or shaping operations... When vacuum clamps let-go, it's kind of binary... There tends to be no 'creeping' like holdfasts -- no warning -- they just 'let go'... Which is fine for sanding operations... But I did have that happen during some edge routing -- that was exciting...

I'd have to play with them a while before carving, shaping, sculpting, etc...

Ya, having one come loose mid sculpt would be a frightening experience when using the grinder and the carbide wheel, good point. 

We have had them in Australia for a couple of years now. The impressive thing is using the conturo with the vacuum clamp because the clamp can rotate and the conturo actually propels the piece. Great for round table tops. When I have used them they even suck onto particle board.

Would I buy one? Probably not because I don't have a use for it. If I was making multiple table tops square or round then yes. They have an amazing grip! Even the compressor is in a dedicated systainer. http://www.festool.com.au/epages/tooltechnic.sf/en_AU/?ObjectID=358458