Plane Choice  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which should i get

• Shoulder Plane
    • Router Plane
    • Rabbeting Block Plane
    • Let the power tools do that work and buy spokeshaves instead

I thought the pic was funny.  

What is actually disturbing is the number of moms I see on facebook posting pictures of their 13-16 year daughters in bathing suits with captions like "OMG I am so jealous I wish I could still rock a bikini like that".   Guess what lady?  #1 you never could and #2 your daughter probably hates you.   

10 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I really like that the LV router plane seems a bit more flexible than the LN one. It's also nice that it can be used with a wider variety of blades. It is a hair more expensive but i feel like you get a bit more for your money.

Generally speaking, LV planes are a lot more versatile than LN's. Especially their joinery or specialty planes.

That said, there are a few additional blades available for the LN large router plane. You just need to buy the small blade adapter and some of the small blades (not many to choose from).

18 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I know there are a ton of threads asking advice on which hand plane to buy. They all have great advice but none of them answered my questions. Brand is irrelevant to me because it's going to be LN or LV, unless someone convinces me that an antique Stanley is worthwhile to buy off ebay.

I currently have a pre-1920 Stanley #5 with a Hock blade and that plane is great. I also have a Stanley SW 60 1/5 LABP, works great haven't used it as much since i got the #5 though. I also have a set of 4 Stanley SW 750 socket chisels & a set of 3 Irwin Marples chisels.

In the future i see myself working a lot with rabbets more as well as mortise and tenon. Work will be done with a dado stack and or a spinney router. If i had to decide between a shoulder plane, a router plane, or a rabbeting block plane, which would be my best bet? I'm also going to start a big project building cabinets so i can't rule out dado either. Or should i abandon all this and buy the full veritas set of spokeshaves (I'd like to build with more curves) and leave the power tools for rabbet, dado, & M&T work?

What do you plan to build next?

Let that guide you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Couldn't find the different blades for LN but heard they were more money than LV, so the cost between the two could even out easily, not sure how many different blades people use on their router planes though.  I've been doing good, haven't bought anything woodworking related in over a month except a new bandsaw blade, you're trying to make me ruin my streak haha.

@Gixxerjoe04 Just don't do it. If you need to get by in the mean time look up Poor man's router plane. It's a good way to basically hold yourself over until you can totally justify it. I'm going to make myself a poor mans router plane tonight and try it out. It'll at least help me learn the utility of the tool.