Aftermarket Rip Fence advice

rkrueger

I'm looking to replace the stock fence for my Grizzly G0771 with something that allows at least wing adjustments so that the fence can be properly adjusted to square from the table surface. I started looking around and there are quite a few options. I like the idea of the Very Super Cool Tools t-square and extruded aluminum fence, but wonder if $300 ish may be a bit overkill on a $700ish TS.  I probably wouldn't be doing any custom jigs utilizing the t-slots too soon as I'm still fairly new to woodworking, but it'd be nice as an option.

Still, does it makes sense to spend that much on this TS?  Is there another good fence someone might recommend that allows accurate adjustments to all angles to ensure proper square that maybe isn't quite so expensive?

Thoughts?

29 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

What can't your fence do? The 0715 fence is fully adjustable and I am curious how they are different. 

You can adjust the front to back so that it is parallel to the blade, but there's no adjustment to change top to bottom tilt of the fence to account for it being perpendicular to the table surface.

The new Delta T3 is the best bang for the buck I know of, and would be an appropriately priced upgrade for your saw IMO.  It's a Biese Lite style steel t-square fence with a single piece steel front rail, and aluminum faces on a steel fence tube.  $183 at HD.  It should roughly comparable to what's on the G0715P and Jet Proshop.  It's superior to the fences on the Laguna Fusion and Baileigh hybrids, due have a welded t-square headed vs a bolted head....the Fusion fence also has a split aluminum front rail.

You should be able to sell the original fence for $50-$75 to offset some costs.  The T3 would be roughly $110-$125 out of pocket if you sold the stock fence.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Power-Equipment-30-in-T-Square-Fence-and-Rail-System-36-T30T3/205803795

+1 for the VCST fence. I got it at home on my 1980's G1023 TS. Definitely one of the best, if not the best, TS fences I've ever used. Completely adjustable, top-notch quality, excellent customer service and its American made. I even contemplated bringing to work... The only issues I've seen with it, is a problem when locking the fence down. Easy fix though, just don't over tighten bolts for the handle and cam. 

I did a little more poking around and I'm now realizing that my G0771 rails/fence are not Biesemyer but a hybrid (my first tablesaw), which means I'll need to purchase new rails in addition to a new fence. For the VSCT, you have to make your own which I'm not sure I'm up for.

I may have to consider some of the other options you all have presented here.

2 hours ago, rkrueger said:

I did a little more poking around and I'm now realizing that my G0771 rails/fence are not Biesemyer but a hybrid (my first tablesaw), which means I'll need to purchase new rails in addition to a new fence. For the VSCT, you have to make your own which I'm not sure I'm up for.

I may have to consider some of the other options you all have presented here.

If you watch the video series they host,  it kind of demystifies it. I'm not a metal worker and was a bit intimidated but after watching once,  I'm sure that anyone with a cutoff wheel and drill press or even a steady hand drill could do it.  Most of the operations are measuring and marking appropriately.

17 hours ago, knotscott said:

The new Delta T3 is the best bang for the buck I know of, and would be an appropriately priced upgrade for your saw IMO.  It's a Biese Lite style steel t-square fence with a single piece steel front rail, and aluminum faces on a steel fence tube.  $183 at HD.  It should roughly comparable to what's on the G0715P and Jet Proshop.  It's superior to the fences on the Laguna Fusion and Baileigh hybrids, due have a welded t-square headed vs a bolted head....the Fusion fence also has a split aluminum front rail.

You should be able to sell the original fence for $50-$75 to offset some costs.  The T3 would be roughly $110-$125 out of pocket if you sold the stock fence.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-Power-Equipment-30-in-T-Square-Fence-and-Rail-System-36-T30T3/205803795

I actually just purchased a new Delta T3 Saturday.  I've been looking to upgrade my current fence and rail system on my old Craftsman contractor saw as anybody who has used that fence knows its terrible.  Its not necessarily hard to get a decent cut from the saw, but it takes 10-15 checks to make sure the fence is square all the way through the cut.  A big time investment for a hobbyist.

I also didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on the old saw as I want to eventually upgrade it one day.  Thing is, I know the upgrade wont happen for at least a few more years so I want to get the most out of my use of this saw and get the best quality cuts that I can.

So I know that spending a little on the new T3 rails and fence will improve my saw's capability and my cut quality making me overall happier with using the saw and make it better for resale when I sell the saw in a few years.  Once I get the new fence and rails I'll post about how the upgrade went and what I like/don't like about the system.

• Like 1