Grizzly, Powermatic, etc.

kmaukamp

13 hours ago, Tom King said:

I have a hard time understanding why anyone buys new, big power tools.

I have a hard time understanding why some people can't understand that the used tool market absolutely sucks in some areas.  I refuse to drive multiple states away just to look at a machine and maybe buy it. If the local market for used tools is complete garbage, new is the only choice. 

14 hours ago, Vyrolan said:

I have a hard time understanding why some people can't understand that the used tool market absolutely sucks in some areas.  I refuse to drive multiple states away just to look at a machine and maybe buy it. If the local market for used tools is complete garbage, new is the only choice. 

True dat.  I haven't seen a single phase, Powermatic table saw or jointer come up in the St. Louis area in years.  Every once in a while you'll get an Oliver or Northfield but they're always in very poor condition.  You always get plenty of Delta and Craftsman though.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm all for used as well, but it just doesn't apply in some cases. For example, after watching for a year and a half, I had two opportunities to buy a grizzly 20" planer with spiral head for $2500. Not much of a discount for a used grizzly. Factor in driving to pick up the machine(need to rent some form of lift gate box truck) and I passed both times. They sold each time. This is how I ended up purchasing a new pm209 this weekend. I just can't sit and sit and sit waiting for the right priced tool to magically appear. It becomes very difficult when you are looking for a specific thing. I have my pick of 24"+ machines within a 3 hour drive, 20" light industrial machines are a super rare find. Same can be said of single phase 12" jointers. How often do they pop up on the used market? I've seen 1-2 in my area the last year. I ended up purchasing one of them, but you need to ask yourself how long you are willing to sit around waiting for a deal to come along before plopping down the extra money for a new machine. Is it really worth $500-1000 to go a year without a machine? I didn't think so in the case of my planer, so I bought it new. First new tool I've purchased. 

Used market is is great for 3 phase industrial machines and entry level tools. It really becomes tough sledding when you want high end hobbyist equipment/light industrial stuff. 

• Like 1

I never did understand why planers hold their value so much.  That PM209 has to be the best bang for the buck in a new machine going.  I've been looking for one of these for years, but this price is about a grand more than I would pay for it.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/5438708145.html      I have a 16" with the knife grinding attachment that I bought at an auction 35 years ago, but have always wanted the 24" version.  I've never done anything to the 16" other than change and sharpen the knives, and use it.