Cordless circular saw

capnjack2

Hey, All! Haven't posted often here but I always love the advice of fellow woodworkers and tradesmen. I have a cordless circular saw which I bought years ago. It's a Craftsman 14.4 volt NiCd. Needless to say, the batteries are shot now and I'd like to upgrade. They don't make a 14.4 volt Li-ion battery for Craftsman (do they?) and I wondered if I could buy an 18 volt and remove cells. Then, how to charge?! Any advice would be appreciated.

jack

Edited by capnjack2
Spelling

Cordless circ saws are pretty inexpensive these days.  Might be worth going to hd and buying a new model.  I bought the ridgid combo kit with the cordless circ saw, drill, some batts, charger, and a bag for like 149 or something similar.

It Li-ion and lifetime warranty

• Like 1

I just bought a Dewalt 20V circ saw from HD a couple weeks ago. I went with this saw because it uses the same battery that my dewalt miter saw uses. I also bought a couple extra batteries. I upgraded the blade and have no issues with the saw. I have not used it a lot but it seems decent, however I am not using it for any furniture builds but did come in handy when I needed to break down some plywood to build a shooting board. It's nice and compact and there are no cords in the way. It is a little weak on power so I would not go crazy using it with any 6/4 or 8/4 hardwoods. If I were build a shed or deck out in a backyard this circ saw would be my best friend. 

I agree with you guys, especially about just getting a new saw. I really like my old one-it's sooooo lightweight! And I just strapped in a Ryobi lithium battery. Used a Velcro strap and it stayed in. I removed the battery afterwards. I may just get the Ryobi saw, not the Ridgid, as I posted earlier.

Add my vote to the 20 volt lithium DeWalt camp.

It's a good little saw with a lot of power and a long battery life. Plus one huge perk of the Li Ion battery is that it runs full power until the battery dies, then it just stops - it doesn't seem to gradually weaken like older styles of batteries do.