Bandsaw Advice

Chestnut

So every one's favorite thread, which tool to buy. I'm not really so much looking for advice on a specific brand or model but more or less trying to get an idea of what I'm going to need specs wise.

I'm seriously looking at buying a band saw in the near future. I have found that while resawing with the table saw works, there are a lot of things that I'd like to do that i know a band saw would just be better at. I'm looking for a saw that will resaw well but can also handle the occasional rip cut on some wacky lumber. I'm not brand loyal and will buy anything with the one exception, i don't want to put up with something that is hard to tune up. So what's good, what's bad and what size and how much power should i look at? Should i worry about a good fence or just buy an aftermarket with a cheaper saw? I've purchased enough wrong tools first and want some advice to help stop that from happening again. Lets say my budget is $2500. 220 is available if i get time to run the wires.

For used this is the only think local and has been listed for a long time. I don't know if it's worthwhile to look at or really any thing about it.

http://www.bismanonline.com/minot_nd/jet_woodcutting_bandsaw_18_model_jbs_18_motor_2

Edited by Chestnut
  • Like 1

.  Do you plan to have a second bandsaw for cutting curves? Will this saw be dedicated to resawing and ripping? Based on wanting to resaw and rip and wanting easy tune up I would get something fairly big and powerful and not something of poor quality. Look into the Laguna or Minimax Italian made saws. I have a Laguna Lt18hd made in Italy and it excels at ripping and resawing. The Minimax are similar machines and do a great job as well. The blade on the saw is an important part of the equation. A carbide tipped resaw blade is really pricey but man are they alot of fun to use and last a LONG time ! If you buy new, i think you should raise the budget a bit. If you find a sweet deal like @Tom Cancelleri did then you are golden.

• Like 2

That Jet isn't really that powerful. I'd say aim for something in the 3+ HP range, especially for resawing. I was seriously considering getting a Hammer N4400. It's around $2300, then whatever shipping is when they have their sale. Might be something to consider, and will handle your needs and then some. Also think about how much capacity you are looking to resaw. A Powermatic PM1500 might fit the bill. It's a solid machine with 3hp motor and all the bells and whistles one would want on a bandsaw. On sale it can be had for just about $2500 shipped.

http://www.hammerusa.com/us-us/products/bandsaws/bandsaw-n4400.html

http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/p/pm1500-bandsaw-3hp-1ph-230v/1791500

Don't listen to these lunatics.  For most hobbyists, a good 14" saw will be totally sufficient most of the time.  Something like the Laguna 1412 will give you decent resaw capacity and enough power to get work done.  Neither of these guys ^^^ have used their big awesome saws to even close to their full capacity, either in power or resaw.  They're not in business and they don't resaw a hundred board feet of anything ever.  Those big saws are super cool but don't be goaded into thinking you need them.

In fact, I'd rather have two small saws like Shane mentioned instead of one huge one, just so I never had to change blades.

Cheap 14" saws can be frustrating, I'd avoid them.

• Like 1

Although MY 14" saw (grizzly) is junk, I still think there are some good contenders in the 14" class. The pm1500 feels solid as a rock and the two times I've used the 1412, I noticed a marked difference in the quality between it and my saw mostly in cutting power.

If resaw is going to be a major function of the saw,  I'd look for a larger than 1hp motor.  That just isn't enough sac for resawing much faster than a lethargic sloth.

I agree with Eric to a point..  I have a 14" and a 17" bandsaw.  He's correct in that the 14 can do about 99% of what I need a bandsaw to do.  The problem is that to get that full 99%, you have to change the blades to do it.  So, if I have a small blade in it, I need to change that to resaw.

So, I went with Grizzly.  I have one local so, no shipping costs helps but, even with shipping, you could have both my saws for under your budget, not have to rewire for 220, and have 2 set ups all the time ready to go.  Plus, the G0555 has proven to be one of their real gems and Frankly, I'm liking the G0513ANV just as well.

So, what you didn't mention is the space available..

• Like 2

The 18" Jet is a frustrating saw. If you wanna go with a 14" saw I see no reason not to get a Laguna 14 BX 220. It's 2.5 HP. It's got all the features of the 1412, in a beefier and more powerful unit. If you wanna go slightly bigger and slightly more powerful, at convenience in ease of setup, and a quick tension lever, then consider the Laguna 14SUV. All capable saws for a shop. I assumed you're looking for a bigger machine since you linked an 18" Jet. 

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/864583/laguna-14bx-bandsaw-220v-25-hp.aspx

I have a little tabletop delta that i currently use for curves and what not. It works great for that stuff but is a terrible saw for cutting anything thicker than 1". I've resawen boards 3" wide on it before and it struggled a lot. It also doesn't have a lot of space so large curves would be cut with a jigsaw and cleaned up with a pattern bit or done some other way.

I don't think that I'm ever going to saw anything wider than 10-12" primarily because i don't really get a chance to buy lumber that is wider than that.

The 18" jet was just a used saw that is nearby. It kinda of gives you and indicator of what is there. It's the only thing that has popped up in the last 4-6 months. I can't remember when i started looking.

I honestly don't know the benefits between an 18" and a 14" there is resaw capacity and other things but why would i get an 18" saw if the power and capacity is the same as a 15" saw? Is it because a bigger wheel can turn a bigger blade that is more stable than a smaller blade?

I have the 14" grizzly and it meets my needs, with the riser block it will resaw 12", but it will take some time.  I do agree with the others that having 2 saws is a plus for not having to deal with setup and blade changes for different tasks.  I was looking at the following which seems to have the features the Laguna and Minimax, but not the price.  The biggest thing that causes me to pause is the lack of real world reviews. 

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/418916/rikon-i18-18-professional-bandsaw-with-4hp-motor-model-10346.aspx

10 minutes ago, TIODS said:

So, what you didn't mention is the space available..

I'll run the saw out of my 24' x 26' garage, I can't fit any more tools in my basement shop and don't really want to move a potentially 500lb gorilla down steep narrow stairs. So i guess i have 300 sq feet of space for 1 tool provided i move my car and pickup out.

The larger saws also USUALLY have a stronger frame capable of properly tensioning a bigger blade without deflecting. 

I know kev likes his but my g0555 can't even tension a 1/2" blade correctly. When it did,  it blew apart at the the tensioning mechanism. 

1 minute ago, Brendon_t said:

I know kev likes his but my g0555 can't even tension a 1/2" blade correctly. When it did,  it blew apart at the the tensioning mechanism. 

Yea, you're one of the few that's had issues with the saw..  I've only had a 1/2" blade on mine once tho too..  I typically run a 1/4 inch on that saw.

2 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'll run the saw out of my 24' x 26' garage, I can't fit any more tools in my basement shop and don't really want to move a potentially 500lb gorilla down steep narrow stairs. So i guess i have 300 sq feet of space for 1 tool provided i move my car and pickup out.

Well, you could certainly fit the 2 saws I mentioned in that space.

Bigger wheels have more mass (as long as they are cast iron) which helps with powering through cuts, and you don't slow the blade and strain the motor. Bigger wheels also also allow bigger blades at a larger radius which can help with blade life due to cooling, and each tooth doing less work for the same board that a shorter blade would cut. 

An 18" saw will have more mass than a 14, it will also have a bigger table, which helps support the cut and have less flex in the table. Also helps with vibration and such. Granted any well tuned decent saw will work well. I had my 14" Rikon resawing 9" wide boards 1/32" thick consistently. It did this pretty slowly though. 

31 minutes ago, Brendon_t said:

The larger saws also USUALLY have a stronger frame capable of properly tensioning a bigger blade without deflecting. 

See this is what worries me.

33 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

I have the 14" grizzly and it meets my needs, with the riser block it will resaw 12", but it will take some time.  I do agree with the others that having 2 saws is a plus for not having to deal with setup and blade changes for different tasks.  I was looking at the following which seems to have the features the Laguna and Minimax, but not the price.  The biggest thing that causes me to pause is the lack of real world reviews. 

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/418916/rikon-i18-18-professional-bandsaw-with-4hp-motor-model-10346.aspx

I was eying a couple Rikon saws but i have hear nothing about them from any one so i don't know what to make of them.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/833083/rikon-18-25-hp-bandsaw.aspx#REVIEWS

Has some good reviews but doesn't seem like it is as sturdy as the one that you linked. Also holy batman there are a lot of different bandsaws this almost got more confusing though now i know to look for something that is going to be 2hp at least preferably 3hp.

I like the idea of 2 saws where 1 isn't as fancy and will only run a smaller blade. If i did that I'd but the smaller saw in the future and make do with what i have in the mean time.

35 minutes ago, Eric. said:

Don't listen to these lunatics.  For most hobbyists, a good 14" saw will be totally sufficient most of the time.  Something like the Laguna 1412 will give you decent resaw capacity and enough power to get work done.  Neither of these guys ^^^ have used their big awesome saws to even close to their full capacity, either in power or resaw.  They're not in business and they don't resaw a hundred board feet of anything ever.  Those big saws are super cool but don't be goaded into thinking you need them.

In fact, I'd rather have two small saws like Shane mentioned instead of one huge one, just so I never had to change blades.

"Don't listen to these lunatics." LOL ! I almost choked on my morning coffee. Thanks Eric. I often wonder what folks are MAKING with all those perfectly re-sawn 12" planks ?

5 minutes ago, highdesertdreams said:

"Don't listen to these lunatics." LOL ! I almost choked on my morning coffee. Thanks Eric. I often wonder what folks are MAKING with all those perfectly re-sawn 12" planks ?

A lot of what i want to use it for is items that 4/4 lumber is just overkill for. Like a previous thread talked about making shavings to get wood down to usable thickness is kinda wasteful. Why not start slightly thicker and cut it in half. I've already resawn more wood than i care to admit with my table saw. When it exceeds the 4.5" i can do with my TS and 8" band saw i cut the board in half and join it back together after resaw.

13 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I'll make this easy for you...your budget is $2500...wait for a PM sale (they have like half a dozen per year) and buy the 1500.  Keep your little guy set up to cut curves if it can do that without problems.  You're set.

I agree, if you're willing to lay out the cash,  that sounds like a solid idea. 

Not to sound like colin but it's hard for me to spend $2500 on a saw but it was so easy for me to spend $6,000 on a camera lens. I'll probably use the saw more often as well. My brain is broken.

If i wanted to make my time frame to next month purchase the PM1500 wouldn't git the $2500 is there a 2nd option that gets close or is that 2nd option where it spirals out of control?

I actually don't MAKE anything with my tools. I'm an internet woodworker. I hang out on wto amd talk a big game but i dont actually make anything. My big bandsaw just makes me feel better about my micropenis. Even if i did make stuff, i wouldn't use that saw because as king Eric stated its overkill. What he says applies to everyone.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I actually don't MAKE anything with my tools. I'm an internet woodworker. I hang out on wto amd talk a big game but i dont actually make anything. My big bandsaw just makes me feel better about my micropenis. Even if i did make stuff, i wouldn't use that saw because as king Eric stated its overkill. What he says applies to everyone.

You bought that sculpted rocker at the store I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!

You bought that sculpted rocker at the store I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!

Haha ! Yup, ordered from the maloof shop.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

I'm happy to see it's finally sinking in.  You were one of my tougher lemmings to tame.  Don't fight it.  Accept it.  Embrace it.  Love it.