Bandsaw Advice

Chestnut

4 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I'm really excited, I hope that i don't have to wait longer than what they estimate. The 3 month wait i had to do for my powermatic TS was painful. Silly back orders.

Agreed. Im on a month for my PM209hh, and I am drifting into unconsciousness over the ordeal. Thankfully, it is coming this Saturday.

That laguna is an interesting saw. I bet 2.5hp is going to be nice to use. you get the laguna guides--which I am interested to experience--and the price isn't bad at all.

52 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

That laguna is an interesting saw. I bet 2.5hp is going to be nice to use. you get the laguna guides--which I am interested to experience--and the price isn't bad at all.

When i get it I'll make sure to do a post or review detailing all the stuff i find interesting. All of the guides on the saw are ceramic and i know from reading other places that these guides can work really well.

43 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Good choice! I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it. Just a heads up, if you're contemplating whether or not to go with a mobility kit it's best to get before you put the saw together. I will say the kit works wonders on the 1412. Moving it is an absolute breeze. 

I looked at their mobility base and decided to buy the same base that i have on my table saw, the HTC 2000. I really like how it works with my table saw and i also like the stability of having 4 wheels instead of 2. I will be using this out in a garage where the floor can be uneven and i don't want to have to worry about tipping of any sort. Yes i know you'll say that the 3 wheels is plenty stable, i just want to make sure to idiot proof it. After all the owner might be an idiot, the jury is still out.

POSTED: April 8th, 2016 at 10:30 AM

RE: JET JWBS-14SF-3

http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwbs-14sf-3-14-steel-frame-bandsaw-3hp-1ph/714550

If anyone is looking for a bandsaw, here's something to consider.  Rockler in Richardson, Texas has decided not to carry the JET JWBS-14SF in the brick and mortar store (it will still be available online).  They're selling the 3hp model for $1,439.99 (MSRP $1,799).  They had 3 in stock yesterday - they now have 2 in stock ... (and I have an upgraded bandsaw).

Specifications

• 3hp 230V motor
  • 13-1/2” of resaw capacity
  • Redesigned fence with laser etched scale and micro-adjust feature
  • Two position fence plate provides appropriate support for every cut
  • Tool-less guide adjustments
  • Conveniently located dual dust collection ports
Address: 800 North Coit #2500 Promenade North Shopping Center, Richardson, TX 75080
Phone:(972) 613-8848

P.S.  I am not affiliated in any way with Rockler or JET. 

JET JWBS-14SF-3.jpg

On 4/5/2016 at 10:19 AM, shaneymack said:

I actually don't MAKE anything with my tools. I'm an internet woodworker. I hang out on wto amd talk a big game but i dont actually make anything.

Great, coffee all over the monitor :D

On 4/7/2016 at 7:33 PM, Chestnut said:

backordered - 4/15/2016 WHY!!!!! :(

Poor market study by recent business grads?

2 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Great, coffee all over the monitor :D

Poor market study by recent business grads?

Being a recent grad myself, I know that it's not our fault but that our supervisors don't' listen to us because they don't think we have gained enough knowledge. Some times experience just gets you stuck in the same mind set and can be a barrier to change.

You really should be more careful with your coffee that stuff is a valuable resource IMO.

55 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Being a recent grad myself, I know that it's not our fault but that our supervisors don't' listen to us because they don't think we have gained enough knowledge. Some times experience just gets you stuck in the same mind set and can be a barrier to change.

You really should be more careful with your coffee that stuff is a valuable resource IMO.

I have an uncanny ability to stick my foot right in my mouth. No offense intended to any recent grads, more power to you :-) I retract my statement and blame it on aging Management not accepting new ideas :-)

2 hours ago, gee-dub said:

I have an uncanny ability to stick my foot right in my mouth. No offense intended to any recent grads, more power to you :-) I retract my statement and blame it on aging Management not accepting new ideas :-)

I forgot the necessary amount of emoji's to clarify my sarcasm. Your good. I screw a ton of things up at work but the management isn't faultless either.

Chestnut, I just recently received the same model. I am not sure how it will work with the mobile base you purchased, but if you need to add the Laguna feet, do it while it's still on its side in the box!  

I just ran a new 220 circuit for it two days ago, so I still haven't finished setup. However, the saw was purring when I briefly turned it on. The unit seems very solid and well made. 

The instruction manual seemed pretty horrible to me. I just watched the 1412 setup videos on the Laguna website. 

2 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I just watched the 1412 setup videos on the Laguna website

+1 to this.  The video was easier as a guide for general assembly and machine features, etc. The 1412 and 14bx machines are similar enough that all but the base assembly applies to both.

Got the blade and mobile base today. Put the base together and it's ready for the saw. Is the resaw king able to be sharpened and if so how many times?

12963500_10100973244113129_8347279217257941218_n.jpg?oh=7298e8734e1ffb64686dbbdc5352826a&oe=57AFA062

In other good news woodcraft was defiantly messing with me. I got a call form the courier today and apparently my saw will be here tomorrow and it is not back ordered until 4-20-16. Thanks again for the help everyone and I'll post some new tool pictures and hopefully some thin slices of random hardwoods!

Awesome news ! What size Rk blade did you get? Yes, it can be sharpened 4-5 times. You send it back to laguna and it costs 35$.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, shaneymack said:

Awesome news ! What size Rk blade did you get? Yes, it can be sharpened 4-5 times. You send it back to laguna and it costs 35$.

I got a 3/4" variable pitch. That's awesome that i can be sharpened that many times the carbide on the teeth didn't look that large.

Just now, shaneymack said:

I have to send mine out. Pretty sure its getting dull, it has started acting weird lately.

At least stand in blades are cheap, i mean a table saw blade is like $40 but a stand in carbide band saw blade is only like $160 :blink:

I'll probably buy a different blade for this guy in the future one for small curve cutting. An HSS blade is only $40 and would probably work well.

I do have a table top band saw that works well for small curves currently, and when i say well i mean it can cut 1/4" mdf no problem.

I have to send mine out. Pretty sure its getting dull, it has started acting weird lately.

At least stand in blades are cheap, i mean a table saw blade is like $40 but a stand in carbide band saw blade is only like $160 :blink:

I'll probably buy a different blade for this guy in the future one for small curve cutting. An HSS blade is only $40 and would probably work well.

I do have a table top band saw that works well for small curves currently, and when i say well i mean it can cut 1/4" mdf no problem.

Ya I use small cheapo 3/8" or 1/4" blades for curves. The RK blade is reserved for heavy dutt tasks.