Bandsaw Advice

Chestnut

I actually don't MAKE anything with my tools. I'm an internet woodworker. I hang out on wto amd talk a big game but i dont actually make anything. My big bandsaw just makes me feel better about my micropenis. Even if i did make stuff, i wouldn't use that saw because as king Eric stated its overkill. What he says applies to everyone.

I'm happy to see it's finally sinking in.  You were one of my tougher lemmings to tame.  Don't fight it.  Accept it.  Embrace it.  Love it.

You wore me down buddy, wore me down....

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, I picked up the Laguna 14bx (110 version) late last year and have been really happy so far.  I've found it has more than enough power for resawing and was easy to set up.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, it is available in a more powerful version if you need that.

@TIODS Do you find that you can get sufficient tension on your G0513?

I have a couple options as i see it. 1& 2 are currently what I'm leaning towards.
1. Grizzly G0513*** (many models i'd have to choose one) $900-$1300
2. Laguna 14bx (may be a bit under powered for really wide resaw but would work well in the 4-7" range) $1,350 10% sale at woodcraft
3. Laguna LT18 3000 (seems to be a good bet not as well built as the PM1500 but seems like a capable saw) $2,300
4. Jet (should i consider them as an option? They have a nice 14" a 16" and an 18" all within price range that would meet requirements)

I'm going to throw out the Rikon's because there are just too many reports of bad things happening. The Laguna 14 SUV has some really bad reviews as well.

Not being contentious, but how often do you all switch blades in the midst of a project? As a guy that is going to a 20" Italian made laguna in the next week, I am interested in how often everyone swaps blades. A used MM16 sounds perfect for the OP(or a pm1500 on sale), because both could be great jack of all trades. Even my LT20 takes a 1/8-1/4" blade. I think you need cool block guides for the 1/8" blade, but that is for such tight tight work. 1/4-1/2" can handle 95% of the curves I would ever want to do. Most of the time I see myself running with the resaw king that is coming on the saw to cut my curves in multiple passes, or handle all my resawing/non-TS ripping needs. I don't get finished curves off my BS as it is; it always requires some form of OSS or hand tools. Anyways, I bring it up, because a lot of people push the two saw method.

Unless im misidentifying the saw, I swear Marc repeatedly uses his 24" Powermatic and rarely touches the 14" in the guild builds. This means he is swapping out a big 1-1.25" resaw king for a 1/4-1/2" blade on projects. I see the convenience in the two saw setup, but you sacrifice a better/smoother/bigger table/powerful saw for the convenience of a smaller saw with a dedicated blade. I would need to use my band saw a lot to justify the space and expense of two saws. Give me a BAMF saw that I have to change blades on every once in awhile over two crappy saws I never change blades on. It is like saying you would rather have two contractor table saws for a dedicated dado stack than one 3HP cabinet saw.

25 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Laguna 14bx (may be a bit under powered for really wide resaw but would work well in the 4-7" range) $1,350 10% sale at woodcraft

Not so.  With my 110 version (1.75 HP) I can cleanly and easily resaw at least 10" boards.  Resaw capacity is right around 13", but I have only gone up to about 10" to date (I have done this on both cherry and walnut). I was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly and easily it resawed.  I used a new Woodslicer 1/2" blade and it was pretty effortless.

My point of comparison is an 18" Jet (not sure of model) that a shared shop I used to use had - it was slower and not as smooth for resawing (likely a dull blade, but no idea). 

39 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I have a couple options as i see it. 1& 2 are currently what I'm leaning towards.

I have a G0513X2F...closer to the $1300.  Meh.  Guides suck (I had to replace them with Carters).  Other things suck.  It's a Grizzly.  I'd just get one of the Lagunas instead.  Especially with the availability of the 14BX 220 version.  No contest.

19 minutes ago, Pwk5017 said:

Not being contentious, but how often do you all switch blades in the midst of a project?

Never, I have two saws. :D

Marc uses his 14" saw for any curve that's too tight for the big blade on his resaw beast.  I do the same.  Nothing, and I do mean nothing, annoys me more than having to stop and change blades or do any kind of miscellaneous time-wasting tinkering when there's a reasonable alternative to it.  Having two bandsaws is a no-brainer when your shop reaches the "2.0" upgrade point.  You only need a little cheapo for your curves saw...doesn't have to have much power or any bells and whistles.  Just a skinny blade on the wheels and a motor to spin it.

• Like 1

I've got an older Delta 14" with a 6" riser, and can resaw without a problem, I put a 5/8 Starrett blade on it and it cut's like Brendon's  "buttah"!   Eric has it pretty correct... the PM1500 for your resaw work, and your bench top for your curves!   I'd suggest adding a Kreg fence on your table top saw!

I have noticed that blade tension conversation are like cap iron position or Festool value conversations; strong opinions from different viewpoints abound.  I have no tension problems with my Grizzly G0513X (no longer made but virtually identical to the current G0513 series saws).  I have no issue with the guides although I did replace the bearings with something superior to the OEMs.

I do change blades in the middle of a project even though I have a 10" saw for quick cuts and am very glad to have it. Blade changes are so quick there is really no reason not to do so if you need a different width of tooth pattern

I can easily tension a 3/4" blade but, have never had a larger blade as there is no need on my saw.  A 1/2" blade cuts just as well as a 5/8" or 3/4" blade for me and that is what I generally use to resaw to capacity.  This may have something to do with my willingness to change blades without reserve.  Neither the Timberwolf or Woodslicers need near the tension I read about some people putting on their saws.  I imagine carbide or bi-metal blades could be different although I'm not experienced with them so factor that into my blathering.

My saw is 2HP and I have frequently wished for more.  The saw does whatever I ask of it but, like sound systems, bandsaws are one of those things that noticeably benefit from raw power.  Alignment, fence and blade will affect performance on any machine.  Obviously this is all JMHO.

If i went with the  14bx i'd be limited to a 3/4" blade. I have 2 carbide choices that i can see. The lenox Tri-Master $168 or the Laguna Resaw King $146 (10% sale). Which would be the better choice?

*prices are shipped

Edited by Chestnut

I'm not a Bandsaw expert, but I can say my original thinking was I would need a big saw and the widest blade I could fit in it to resaw effectively... Turns out that is just not the case (to a degree, of course, you can't use a complete crap tiny saw, or cheapo blade, etc).  

From what I can tell, some people actually prefer a 1/2" blade for resawing.  I think it may depend more on tooth count and geometry, but I am not sure.  I don't think you should be at all worried about being "limited to a 3/4" blade".

Hopefully some of the more expert BS blade guys will chime in on this, as I am curious what they say.  As I mentioned earlier, I am currently using a 1/2" Woodslicer blade to resaw and I have absolutely no complaints, cuts great and I don't feel the need to get anything else for resawing.

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

2. Laguna 14bx (may be a bit under powered for really wide resaw but would work well in the 4-7" range) $1,350 10% sale at woodcraft
3. Laguna LT18 3000 (seems to be a good bet not as well built as the PM1500 but seems like a capable saw) $2,300
4. Jet (should i consider them as an option? They have a nice 14" a 16" and an 18" all within price range that would meet requirements)

I'm going to throw out the Rikon's because there are just too many reports of bad things happening. The Laguna 14 SUV has some really bad reviews as well.

Yes..  I'm running a 3/4 wood slicer on it and not having any issues.  

Eric is correct in that the guides are not the best but, I'm still running the stock ones.  Certainly the fence isn't the best either but, it's working out just fine in my shop.

Look, it's not a PM and will never claim to be.  I've heard a few people complain about some of the Laguna stuff well but, it's most assuredly a better quality saw.  In the end, for me and my shop/work flow, it does what I need it to do.  It resaws nicely and rips what I ask it to. 

I agree with what Kev and gee-dub say about the Griz. I think Brendon stores his wet, saltwater lures in and on top of his?. I have the G055x with the riser block and high fence and wouldn't trade it for a lifetime of table dances!

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I have the Laguna LT18 3000 and it's been a great multipurpose BS.  I use it for ripping quite a bit because my table saw is a dangerous POS that can't hold an adjustment.  

The stock fence and resaw King blade have not left me wanting.

I get a lot of use out of the 'larger' tabletop on an 18".  It's beefy which is helpful when cutting lengths of reclaimed beams and smaller logs for the drying rack.  For my purposes the size of the top and the overall weight if the saw was a necessity.

I don't mind changing blades that much but this a hobby for me so 5-10 minutes fiddling with it is no problem.  The guides are nice and simple to adjust.  

The Italian version is well thought of but this one fit my budget and it's worked out fine.   Happy with the purchase and would do it again.  

Well i didn't want to wait, it's my birthday next week so i ordered the saw today and hopefully it'll be at my house for me to celebrate.

Status Item Name Qty Price Total
processing 864583 14bx Bandsaw 220Volt2.5 HP 1.00 $1,349.10 $1,349.10
processing 854327 115 x 3/4 x VAR Laguna RK 1.00 $134.99 $134.99
      Merchandise Net:
Tax:
Coupons/Discounts:
Shipping Amount:
Total Amount:
$1,484.09
$0.00
($0.00)
$86.83
$1,570.92
  • Like 1

I should say thanks to everyone that commented and help me get to this point. I really appreciate it i had no idea which direction to go and everyone helped me get to where I'm at. My goal is to maybe get a big resaw unit in the future and use this for curves and general use. I'm sure this one will work great for resaw as it sits and if I'm ultimately happy with it i might never upgrade.

• Like 2

I am looking at the Laguna Tools MBAND1412-175 14 x 12 Bandsaw, Black/Grey on Amazon as they currently have a deal and with all my research this is the best one for the type of work I am going to be doing and it sounds like your shop is a lot like mine. One of the most important things I discovered was that you need to easly be able to tune and adjust your blade. The Laguna has a good quality aluminum adjustments. Plus it has a large back fence and the price is right under $1,000. 

www.philipmillerfurniture.com

27 minutes ago, MillerFurniture said:

I am looking at the Laguna Tools MBAND1412-175 14 x 12 Bandsaw, Black/Grey on Amazon as they currently have a deal and with all my research this is the best one for the type of work I am going to be doing and it sounds like your shop is a lot like mine. One of the most important things I discovered was that you need to easly be able to tune and adjust your blade. The Laguna has a good quality aluminum adjustments. Plus it has a large back fence and the price is right under $1,000. 

www.philipmillerfurniture.com

I did look long and hard at the 14|12 because it is a good saw. I just wanted the extra power. I like to work with exotic hardwoods that make hickory seem soft and hopefully that extra power means that i can get better cleaner cuts with the wood that i use. Also the opinions expressed previously agree that more power is better.

• Like 1