Bandsaw Advice

Chestnut

2 hours ago, shaneymack said:

I have to send mine out. Pretty sure its getting dull, it has started acting weird lately.

How is that possible? Have you checked it for any pitch build up? At hobbyist level, you couldn't have put more than 250 linear feet of wood through that blade. You also haven't done any super dense exotic resawing that I know of. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

How is that possible? Have you checked it for any pitch build up? At hobbyist level, you couldn't have put more than 250 linear feet of wood through that blade. You also haven't done any super dense exotic resawing that I know of. 

Thats what I told Laguna, they said its totally possible. I have put no where near 250 bd ft for sure. Im pretty sure its getting dull though, the machine is perfectly setup and im getting a wavy cut. Seems like the blade is a little sharper on one side than the other its moving left to right ever so slightly when i cut. It worked perfectly for almost a year. Nothing else has changed so the only logical explanation is that its starting to dull. I have done quite alot of resawing with it and I will admit, i did resaw some plywood with it lol. 

2 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

Have you checked your guides to make sure they haven't changed, also check your tracking. Even though it was perfectly setup for a long time, doesn't mean that vibration and moving parts didn't cause things to slightly shift. I'd check that all first.

Of course. Backed everything off. Cleaned the tires, re aligned the blade, tightened motor pulley, turned all ceramic thrust bearings 90 degress before resetting them ( to be sure the blade wasnt riding in a groove on that back guide), took all the guides apart completely and cleaned them all, reset all the guides, re squared the fence to the table.

Even with all the guides removed it was still producing the same result. I used to be able to cut with no guides and it would not do that. So i know its as hard for you to believe as it was for me but it seems to be a dull blade. Im picking up a cheapo 3/4" 3tpi tomorrow while the RK is off to Ca to be sharpened. 

I will admit, i did resaw some plywood with it lol. 

Uh?

My first two questions are why?...and why?

Lol. Funny thing is i can't remember for the life of me what exactly it was for. I had bb ply on hand but needed a thinner piece for something. Well it worked very well, better than planing it ! LOL. Was pretty impressive how that blade cut through the ply. Blade still worked great for months after that. Probably would have lasted longer if i wouldn't have done that. Oh well, id do it again if i had to, cause it was awesome.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Tom Cancelleri said:

You know there's a car in your shop right?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Great looking saw and car but I'm with Tom what's the car doing in your shop :)

The car and the saw are going to have to learn to play nice. Though I don't think the car is going to be accepting. You should have seen the dirty looks the car was giving me while i was waxing the table of the band saw. If looks could kill.

My actual shop is in my basement but i don't have space for the saw down there nor do i want to move it down there knowing I'm selling this joint in a year.

9 minutes ago, wdwerker said:

There is an engine loose in his shop as well. My guess is a dead car in his shop.

That's my spare for when 2.5hp isn't enough and i need 108 :D. Engine is for the pickup, the one in the car is some wonky Porsche knock off or something.

2 minutes ago, TIODS said:

That's the lumber cart ;)

It does a terrible job at it too.

Oh man, thanks for the laughs guys. Saw runs great but there was a slight blade issue when i was setting up the saw. I now get to wait for a new blade and I'm out $150. I also don't want to talk about my own stupidity, lets just say i should have known better.

On April 13, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Chestnut said:

Man and i thought i did stuff in really weird round about ways. I'd probably never think to resaw plywood. Canadian engineering at it's best. I don't know what Immortan's excuse is.

I don't need any excuses. I'm a redneckish woodworker. I 'd use whatever material I have at hand.

• Like 1