How to Make Floats?

Bud

@sjk I'll layout my tooth spacing and follow with a hacksaw to near final tooth depth for two reasons. First it gives me a solid registration to run a file along. Second its easier for the file to do its job to form the tooth shape because it doesn't have to use the edge of the file to do most of the cut just the working sides. The process is quick per tooth, just tedious.

My bandsaw is a wood/ metal version. It has a stiffer heavier frame and a transmission.  When you engage the transmission there are 4 slower speeds with some incredible torque. The lowest speed runs at a snails pace. The blade is just a long hacksaw blade. I rarely use it for cutting metal but getting the wood dust out first is essential, smoke and smoldering dust taught me that over 30 years ago. I just vacuumed up the cooled metal shavings the next day. I was amazed how easy it was to cut through 4" thick solid brass one time.

You really have to be careful working metal in a wood shop. Drill shavings can be hot enough to cause smoke as well.

• 2 weeks later...