NASA Blue marbel Wooden map done with badog CNC artisan *amazing*

asselin22

3 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

One other reason that I don't want to use a CNC tool myself is that I work in front of a computer most of the day at my paying job. The last thing I want to do in my 'telaxing hobby' time is to work in front of a computer. I rarely even use Sketchup to model my projects, for the same reason.

More power to those of you doing CNC! It just ain't for me.

Now this is more like it for me :P

3 hours ago, Mike. said:

Like I said before, I don't hold anything against CNC but so far I haven't seen it used in a revolutionary way.   I'd love to see it combined with traditional woodworking to build something that could not be done with either alone.... a true 1 + 1 = 3.  I am sure someone is doing that, I just haven't seen it.  Until that happens it is just a productivity tool or toy.  

Funny, my thread in the power tool forum started simultaneously with this one, but this one got a lot more heated! Your sentiments match mine exactly. Is the detail of the OP's map awesome? it sure is. Does it illicit a response similar to a maloof rocker? No, not even close. 99-100% of the CNC projects I see are missing something important. The potential is great, which is why i started my thread. I wanted people to say, "you are missing out on what X person is doing". I think CNC is cool, but im not compelled to spend the bucks to get one. I already have the training in most of the compatible software, so I wouldnt have to get over a major hump that most people do. It is what they ultimately bring to the table that prevents me from buying into it.

Everyone mentions how much money folks make with CNC, what are people making with a benchtop cnc that rakes in so much dough? I see that statement in over half of the cnc threads i read.

8 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Everyone mentions how much money folks make with CNC, what are people making with a benchtop cnc that rakes in so much dough? I see that statement in over half of the cnc threads i read.

Commissions. It's like 3D printers. People know who has them and then seek those people out to perform operations for them. Fairly soon the market will be saturated and the profit will spread out.  

18 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

Same here, and I have a lot of CNC experience. I'd love to have one for making jigs for other woodworking operations, but if I had to justify the cost I'd have a hard time doing it. I suspect that for those few who are tapped into more lucrative niche markets it might make sense. Going from benchtop machines to the sightly larger (and more expensive) intermediate machines I could see some justification. Legacy CNC makes a CNC router ( Maverick) targeted directly at small woodworking shops. I could see the payback there, but they're out of range for all but the best equipped hobby shops.

4 hours ago, micks said:

Same here, and I have a lot of CNC experience. I'd love to have one for making jigs for other woodworking operations, but if I had to justify the cost I'd have a hard time doing it. I suspect that for those few who are tapped into more lucrative niche markets it might make sense. Going from benchtop machines to the sightly larger (and more expensive) intermediate machines I could see some justification. Legacy CNC makes a CNC router ( Maverick) targeted directly at small woodworking shops. I could see the payback there, but they're out of range for all but the best equipped hobby shops.

I understand the sign aspect, but those cant be easy jobs to get. Im talking about making lit lexan signs for businesses. Also, these are jobs where a 4x8 or 5x9 table would be important. At the very least, a 4x4 table, which looks like it starts at $5-6,000+. I dont know if i buy into commissions raining down on people with machines either. Once again, i think the pros with full sized machines are going to get that work, and not the guys with a 2x3 or 2x4 table. I have read two stories of hobbyist guys making a fair amount with their cnc routers. One made handicap signs, and the other made custom license plate holders. No clue what kind of ADA signs the one guy was making that he sold so many, but the license plate thing makes sense. Then again, im sure that man's success required quite a bit of creativity and marketing to make it work. I dont think money rains down on most CNC owners. Too bad, because you would need it to before plopping down 5-10 grand on a basic machine!

1200$ gets a rather nice cnc machine nowadays -> Inventables X-carve. I've been on the fence with it for a while. Would greatly speed up the process of my stuff. Its a respectable size, but may not be prudent for furniture makers. Inlay work with a cnc is just a joy.

For now, I have a friend that I go to for cnc stuff. I can do it all by hand, but man, that CNC shaves the working time by a considerable margin. 15 minutes to carve, and another 20 to sand and finish. By hand it would take me 3-4 hours.

For those of you anti-cnc, one of these is CNC'd, the other is completely done by hand. Which one has the "Rustic charm" of working "By hand" and which is a "robot doing all the work"???

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

The bottom one was hand done and the top was CNC. 

See, a small cnc makes so much sense for you instrument guys. That machine you mentioned is a great price, but it looks so so flimsy. You look at the machines in the $5,000 class and they have 10x the structure and weight to them. 

11 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

No clue what kind of ADA signs the one guy was making that he sold so many, but the license plate thing makes sense. 

ADA signage could possibly be very lucrative, provided you have the connections, the know-how and the software. There are patents on processes to contend with, etc. 

10 hours ago, Pwk5017 said:

See, a small cnc makes so much sense for you instrument guys. That machine you mentioned is a great price, but it looks so so flimsy. You look at the machines in the $5,000 class and they have 10x the structure and weight to them. 

I think it would take a 100,000$ matsuko 5 axis cnc to do what most of you guys want to do here. For decorative work, elaborate trim pieces, inlay work, templates, etc, theres no way the x-carve would have an issue with that.

The top one is hand done, the bottom is cnc. The reason for the cnc is that piece of ebony that has to be precision fit "just right" into the cavity.

8 hours ago, bob493 said:

I think it would take a 100,000$ matsuko 5 axis cnc to do what most of you guys want to do here. For decorative work, elaborate trim pieces, inlay work, templates, etc, theres no way the x-carve would have an issue with that.

The top one is hand done, the bottom is cnc. The reason for the cnc is that piece of ebony that has to be precision fit "just right" into the cavity.

gah, I knew I was going to lose! I thought those were your layout lines on the bottom one, and that is why I guessed it. 

On 05/05/2016 at 7:22 PM, Pwk5017 said:

Probably because it's a chinese one, the less money it costs the shittier it is,(from my own experience), I have this babe,       badog x2, makes other normal cnc machines look like amateurs, I can even mill alimunium  plates, so smooth and so precise, it's a swiss, i reccommend,considered best in switzerland means best in europe and probably the world. I had a cheap chinese one before, was a pain in the ass, simply garbage.