Can you share a Black Cherry furniture pic?

Janello

Steaming changes the color a bit too.

Is cherry also steamed to uniform the color? I had only heard that being done on wallynut

My place says they do it to even the color a little, but mostly because it darkens both the Heartwood and sapwood.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

after reading the rest on this topic, michigan can have differing shades of pink or salmon coloring in there cherry lumber, the PA cherry was the best red color for a long time till the over cutting took and made the old growth gone and the supplies now come from everywhere.. janello, you need to look at the bark of this tree there is a slight chance you might have a choke cherry tree ,,(link) i have only seen one cut into lumber and many cut into fire wood.. they dont get as big and the lumber is lighter than the normal cherry, tends to be real sappy as well.. you can get high sap content in ( black) cherry depending on the growing conditions.. but if it has a coarse bark and its free you in for some nice lumber.

Growing conditions make a big difference in the color and density of the wood. One side of the mountain will get more rainfall and have better soil. More stressful conditions could lead to slower growth and far more growth rings to the inch. Colder winters might lead to the tree hardening the late wood earlier each year.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, KenMasco said:

Thank you.  Is there a best state?

Pennsylvania is the cliche cherry state, but don't get hung up on it.  Cherry is cherry and you'll find good and bad batches of it from everywhere, depending on many factors from geography and climate to milling and kiln drying and everything in between.

For walnut, Missouri might be ground zero, at least for the sheer number of walnuts growing and I believe we produce the most nuts.  I've seen some giant walnuts in Indiana.  But they're peppered all throughout the midwest and eastern U.S.

Not sure why you're so interested...go find some cherry and walnut and build something with it...it's gonna look like cherry and walnut.

Eric,

Both Cherry($7.00 bf) and Walnut ($10.50 bf) are both crazy expensive and low quality here on the left coast at the moment.  I've been thinking of pooling together with a couple of shop buddies for a wood buying trek back east and U hauling a bunch of wood for our own use.  If I'm going to go through that trouble and expense I want to get the best quality/price deal possible.  Seems as though Missouri is the spot at least for the Walnut.  I found a Missouri saw mill and am wondering if that's the best place.  Thank you for your response

4 minutes ago, KenMasco said:

Eric,

Both Cherry($7.00 bf) and Walnut ($10.50 bf) are both crazy expensive and low quality here on the left coast at the moment.  I've been thinking of pooling together with a couple of shop buddies for a wood buying trek back east and U hauling a bunch of wood for our own use.  If I'm going to go through that trouble and expense I want to get the best quality/price deal possible.  Seems as though Missouri is the spot at least for the Walnut.  I found a Missouri saw mill and am wondering if that's the best place.  Thank you for your response

Just an FYI..  There's a guy on CL here where I'm at who's advertising 800 BF of walnut for $7.50 a BF.  I only pay about $8.00 for it normally.  My point is that maybe you don't have to go that far to find a good deal and a good product.

27 minutes ago, KenMasco said:

Eric,

Not much to do about the walnut prices...9 or 10 bucks per board foot seems to be standard around here right now.

For cherry, the place near me is $5/bdft for unsteamed, more for the steamed stuff... It's probably a 40 min drive south of you.

Driving over the Rockies is fun, but I'm guessing you'd have to find stuff for like 50 cents per bdft for it to be cost effective. What was your break even point?

6 hours ago, KenMasco said:

Eric,

I'd stay away from sawmills in general if high quality is important to you.  They're usually great on prices, quality is hit or miss.  Usually miss.  Find a reputable dealer with fair prices and load up there.