Chisels and Hand Planes

Josiah Brown

I think Tom and Derek said it best. I have to agree with Tom that sharpening is probably the most important and most overlooked purchase when getting into hand tools. At first there is very little reason to buy more than one chisel. You would be surprised at much work you can do with a 1/2" chisel. I have a set of 4 Narex chisels and 3 LN chisels. The Narex are fine but are relegated now to misc shop tasks. Most woodworkers I know have at least two sets of chisels anyway. If you went with Narex, I would just go with the set of 4.  I prefer the LN's over the LV but they are both very good. I have a LN LA jack plane and though I use it, I wish I had gone a different route when first getting into hand tools. It sounds like you are wanting to learn how to wood work with hand tools and not just supplement your power tool kit. It is also not a bad idea to add a saw to your initial kit. There is more to hand tools besides planing and chiseling. This is what I would start with: 

Ohishi Combo Sharpening Stone I have this stone and think it is pretty darn good for the price, but a little soft. 

Side Clamp Honing Guide This is what I started with and I don't think you can spend $8 any better. 

DuoSharp Stone You have to be able to flatten your sharpening stones.

LN No. 60 1/2" Block Plane You can actually do a lot with this little plane

LN 1/2" Chisel

This will get you started and should keep you right around $400

If you wanted to spend a little more, I would add these two:

Veritas Router Plane

Veritas Dovetail Saw

You could also swap out the LN 1/2" chisel for a set of 4 Narex chisels if you are going to place an order from LV.

I won't set a door strike with a quarter or half inch chisel. YMMV, but counseling everyone who asks to only buy narrow chisels may cause them grief as they build skill and technique. Not necessarily a disagreement but rather a consideration. 

4 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

I won't set a door strike with a quarter or half inch chisel. YMMV, but counseling everyone who asks to only buy narrow chisels may cause them grief as they build skill and technique. Not necessarily a disagreement but rather a consideration. 

I see your point but I think for just trying to get your feet wet with hand tools a high quality half inch chisel is pretty versatile, at least for the first few months. 

I do actually own a half inch veritas chisel already and its great.  I might get one slightly larger, one slightly smaller, and hold off on the rest.  Jmaichel if I buy the ohishi stone, how many different grits would I need?  Is a traditional dovetail saw easier to use than a japanese dovetail saw?  I have a japanese dovetail saw and haven't gotten around to using it much yet.  The few attempts I have made haven't been great but that could very likely be my lack of skill.

I think the Renaissance tool list is more for someone who is going to do hand tool only woodworking, rather than for someone with tailed milling tools already, but who wants to learn about using hand tools for maybe things like final fit and finish.

Here's a link to the Tools from Japan set I mentioned earlier.  You may have to find the box on the page to change the currency to what works for you.  There are a couple of videos too.  Their prices can't be beat, but if you go with the cheapest shipping it can be two or three weeks on a slow boat from Japan, but it will get there.  I use these stones in my progression now, and that's after 42 years of spending money on sharpening stuff.

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=335_404_403&products_id=1667

4 hours ago, Josiah Brown said:

Sounds like I need to do some more research and practice with sharpening.  I know it's an important skill but I often push it aside because it doesn't seem as worthwhile.  Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Yes it is important but once you get it down it doesn't take any time at all and the trick is keep touching them up, don't let them get dull.

3 hours ago, Josiah Brown said:

I do actually own a half inch veritas chisel already and its great.  I might get one slightly larger, one slightly smaller, and hold off on the rest.  Jmaichel if I buy the ohishi stone, how many different grits would I need?  Is a traditional dovetail saw easier to use than a japanese dovetail saw?  I have a japanese dovetail saw and haven't gotten around to using it much yet.  The few attempts I have made haven't been great but that could very likely be my lack of skill.

I think you would do just fine with the 1000/8000 Combo stone, That is what I use and like. One day I will add Sharpton's but for now that combo stone is does the job. 

If you like the Veritas Chisels than I would just add one or two more of those. 

Traditional vs Japanese is a matter of personal opinion. If you have one already I would mess around with that a little more. If you decide you don't like it than you can think about ordering a traditional saw. 

I would say for now to stay within your $400 budget. The Ohishi combo stone, the DuoSharp, LN Block Plane, and maybe one two more chisels would serve you pretty well for the next few months.

I'll add another vote for good sharpening setup first and foremost - and to stick to to learn.  There are several ways to accomplish that and not all are expensive- especially since you already have the Tormek.  If you like the Veritas chisel (pmv11?) then I'd get another one or two of those - 1/4 and 1".*

I wouldn't get in a hurry to spend all your budget but carefully consider what you want each tool to do as you add it to your arsenal.  I'd also recommend both Veritas and LN.  I thought from reading I'd prefer Veritas but in my hand I generally prefer the LN tool more. Might you buy either and don't like it you can sell it on for little or no loss - or both companies are excellently deal with if a tool doesn't suit.

have you considered Japanese tools?  I also thought I'd like them but found out I like western tools but you may be the opposite.

* assuming your projects are nether very small scale or very large.

• 2 months later...