Walnut Steamed vs Non-steamed.

Chestnut

I don't know a lot about the walnut harvesting process but i want to know if this is just what i should expect.

I have 2 pieces of walnut, pictured below. One board is from a locally fallen tree that was air dried for roughly 5-6 years (front board). The other purchased from my local hardwood yard (rear board). The picture is as close to perfectly color balanced as i can get it. Is this what we can expect from Today's harvested walnut, or is this just the difference between steamed and not steamed? I've never really been super impressed by the walnut my local guy gets. Is the wood he gets an exception or the norm?

13726717_10101045718264349_6296995970500

The boards currently have wet poly on the both of them. The top board I'm using as a transition between 2 rooms the bottom board is just a scrap piece. The picture honestly does the lumberyard board more favors then it deserves.

I should have never put the steamed board next to the non-steamed board. With nothing to compare to the steamed board seems ok it's just not as dark.

Thanks for the responses, i got the information i was looking for. Nice steamed walnut exists and there are sources for non-steamed walnut. board by board variation is going to be a big factor and the walnut that is sold locally isn't exactly to die for (it all looks like it ranges from sub par to slightly above mediocre.) I'm not disappointed or bent out of shape I'm more or less curious if i should find a new supplier. I'll check into a few of the guys in towns that i commonly travel to see if they are a bit better.

Walnut stock in general is in a sad state of affairs these days.  It's already a naturally defect-riddled species.  Add to that the relaxed NHLA grading standards PLUS the fact that China buys up all of the primo logs before we can even set eyes on them...yep, it's tough to find a good batch of walnut.  Your dealer may or may not have sub-par stock compared to other yards, but keep in mind that the low quality is a nationwide problem at the moment.  My advice is to visit your yard often, dig through the stacks and pluck only the very best boards you can find.  That way you're fully stocked when it's time to go build a project out of walnut.  Otherwise you'll go to the yard needing ten or twelve good boards and you'll only be able to find three or five.  Which obviously means lots of waste and money down the toilet.

And you got the right idea...judge boards on an individual basis upon their own merit, not which category they fall under.  We have both steamed/kiln dried and air dried walnut at my yard, and it's a mixed bag for both.  I find some absolutely stunning kiln dried boards with creamy white sapwood and iridescent purples and chocolates...and I'll find some absolutely hideous pale turds in the air dried piles.

I'll also find some perfect, clear rift sawn boards in the commons stack, and twisted, gnarly nasty booger boards in the FAS.

According to the owner of the yard, our FAS 4/4 and 8/4 is steamed and kiln dried by one of the biggest walnut mills in the country.  Like I said, it's a mixed bag...but I do see creamy white sapwood in those stacks from time to time.  Why some boards manage to stay attractive and others don't, no idea.  Perhaps they're farther away from the heat source in the kiln and they don't get nuked as bad.  Apparently what happens when they steam wood is all the starches basically get cooked, which darkens the sapwood considerably but also tends to suck the life out of the heartwood.

But again, I'd put my money on about 99% of woodworkers not being able to tell the difference, especially if the sapwood is removed.

Getting away from the drying method and results. @Eric.how do the chineese buyers know the good walnut logs from the bad or do you mean they  buy up the good lumber before it ever makes it to woodworker market? Also why are the Chinese so obsessed with walnut? To make it into ply wood and sell it right back to us?

11 hours ago, Eric. said:

Veneers, yes.  To veneer their garbage furniture and sell it back to us...and their own burgeoning middle class.

To identify the best veneer logs, just pick the biggest, straightest with the least branches.  Job done.

My father sold a walnut tree on his farm last year. If it ever got struck by lightning or fell it would've taken out the house so it had to go anyway. Huge tree for a walnut and straight as an arrow. A company came out and gave him $4000 for it and said it would all be made into veneer. Pretty crazy.

My father sold a walnut tree on his farm last year. If it ever got struck by lightning or fell it would've taken out the house so it had to go anyway. Huge tree for a walnut and straight as an arrow. A company came out and gave him $4000 for it and said it would all be made into veneer. Pretty crazy.

And the veneer probably sold for 50 to 100 times the cost of the log.