Any campers?

rodger.

Yeah layers and breathable waterproof shell are important of course, but nothing provides warmth like down.  I camped out last Saturday night with nothing more than my down sleeping bag and jacket and I was cozy at 25*.  It's super lightweight and packable and provides more warmth per ounce of weight than any other material on Earth (that I know of anyway).

• Like 1

Yep a down jacket, down sleeping bag, insulated sleeping pad and some lightweight synthetic baselayers go a long way in cold weather. My gear is what most would call "3-season" but ive hiked and slept on snow comfortably just by adding layers.

Depends on the individual too though. A cool night to me is arctic death to my girlfriend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My underquilt is pretty thick, but my top quilt is quite thin, I think 40d rated.  I'd need better top insulation, maybe a bigger tarp, down jacket + something waterproof, probably some wool base layers and probably pack boots.  I think that would get me out there the first time to see where it put me comfort wise. 

On 11/22/2016 at 10:48 AM, Bankstick said:

My parents had three motor homes in their lifetime.  They were a waste of $$$, IMHO.  For what the monthly payment was for the last one, they could have stayed in 5 Star hotels with room service.

I been wanting to say for days Banksick that it was not a waste because im thinking they enjoyed there rv.

On 22/11/2016 at 8:48 AM, Bankstick said:

My parents had three motor homes in their lifetime.  They were a waste of $$$, IMHO.  For what the monthly payment was for the last one, they could have stayed in 5 Star hotels with room service.

Staying in an RV in a campground vs a hotel is like comparing apples to, Ida know, telephones. We spend a month in a national park campground every summer, with various kids & spouse, grandkids, friends etc. If we were doing that in hotel, it'd last about 4 days before we would head for home. 

Yes, if I took the $$ paid for the 5th wheel & put in a hotel fund, I could be staying in pretty nice hotels, but that just isn't the point.

• Like 1